Ditching Facebook

FB bad, I had it for about a month a few years back and then got annoyed and deleted everything. I don’t really do anything social media related except for this forum and Strava. I miss out on a few things occasionally but I’m OK with that.

1 Like

I’ve found this with a lot of cycling and non-cycling stuff. Lots of organisations which insist on using Facebook for their events even if they have their own website.

2 Likes

I did it and it’s the best! No longer forced to know way more about people than I would ever want to know.
I am on a team that uses it it so I kinda had to recreate a profile, but I don’t accept friend requests or use the Facebook app.
Once Instagram starts acting up I’ll probably leave that too :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

I quit Facebook and Twitter at the end of 2016. Quitting Twitter felt great and I didn’t miss it at all. Facebook… that’s been tougher. There are several people in my life who only communicate via Facebook. They can’t or won’t do email any more.

Then of course there are the groups like the Rocker Plate group that I have to miss entirely because I’m not on Facebook (cough cough cough @mcneese.chad cough cough cough). I really wish I could see and contribute to that content, but my desire to not be on Facebook is greater than my desire to visit such groups.

1 Like

I ditched it over 6 years ago. The other half ditched his this spring. We don’t really miss it.

1 Like

@Mark_Rebuck, yeah. Sorry about that.

I’m lazy and kinda cheap, so I am using it as the platform for now. Setting up a dedicated forum for RPs would be the best, but requires $ and time to make happen. We are over 4100 members and I’d love the controls like we have here.

I may just have to bite the bullet and look into it at some point (soon?).

For now I have our small thread here that you are welcome to use and I will pull in any relevant info from the FB side that you would need. Not the same as the freedom to browse on your own, but I’m happy to help any way I can.

Ditched FB many years ago, after my dad stopped posting family pics there. Personally I’m annoyed by any company or group that only sets up shop on FB. My college kids never bothered to get FB accounts, its all Snap and Instagram.

1 Like

I was one of those folks but I made the jump and glad I did. Most seem to search before posting the inevitable ‘is it normal that my power is different…’ and when it’s not, other users always oblige by providing a link to a related thread.

I check in to FB every once in a while but, honestly, this is way cooler.

Can you imagine the number of individual posts for WWDD?! :grinning:

1 Like

Left Facebook a year ago… Life has been better even since!

Just going to say, if I’m going to have an online presence, then this is the place for me to be surrounded by other workout insane individuals!

Know where you are the happiest!

Live life outdoors!

2 Likes

I use FB to keep up with my 2 cycling clubs and a few other groups. For the cycling clubs they use FB to promote upcoming events and to post cancellations due to weather. This is very handy for me.

What I have done however is remove myself from the FB Zwift riders and Zwift Racers groups. Just too much crap being posted.

3 Likes

Clubs out here use Meetup, it is a great platform for groups.

3 Likes

We use meetup a lot too. Threw my wife for a loop when she saw me using it, she thought it was a dating app. When I showed her the page was for Wordpress users she was like… “:woman_shrugging: who would date a Wordpress user??”

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Classic! LOL :joy:

Yepp, you won’t miss it. You have us now :joy:

1 Like

I have done similarly. I originally started using FB again to keep up with the local cycling club since it’s their only means of communicating the routes each week.

I completely agree. Surround yourself with like minded individuals to help keep you motivated. I realize that with everything moderation, however it’s your online experience so keeping it positive is key since all too often it turns into a rabbit hole.

1 Like

I had about 500 friends on facebook, most of which i couldn’t care less if i ever spoke to again. Quite a few were people i’d met once in passing for example.

I went on a deleting spree and got that number down to 50 people.

I’d find myself constantly checking facebook, so decided to ditch it.

I log in every few days just to check if i’ve got any notifications or messages, but i don’t go down the news feed anymore. My local cycling group is on there, and that’s the main reason i log in really, just to see if there’s any messages about rides etc.

1 Like

After all the exposure I’m not sure why anyone would remain on FB. It’s a cesspool…value what little privacy you have left, if we don’t fight back there won’t be any option.

2 Likes

Yep, got rid of FB early this year, it took a good few weeks to break the habit but pleased I did it. I only use this forum and Whats app for close friends/family and work

Ditched it some ten or more years ago… used it when people used to say whats Facebook and others were using things like myspace… when it became popular it was time to dump, didn’t like direction it was going! Have never missed it, I probably wouldn’t recognise it today!

1 Like