Difference between vo2 and anaerobic sessions

Hi all

Quick one, what’s the difference between vo2 intervals and anaerobic?

I can smash anaerobic sessions out no problem but struggle with vo2

2 Likes

:+1:

3 Likes

Cheers captain, clear as mud :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

2 Likes

VO2: lungs & heart

Anaerobic: legs & muscles

Or not. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Anaerobic:
The primary goal is to improve maximum aerobic capacity, or the endurance that allows you to work harder and longer…

Ansel Adams
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/6032-ansel-adams

VO2:
used to expand aerobic and anaerobic capabilities as well as increase a rider’s ability to tolerate high levels of acidic accumulation and stress, both physiologically & psychologically.

Banner
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/5770-banner

3 Likes

Table 2 of this link nicely shows expected physiological/performance adaptations resulting from training at different intensities with zone 5 being VO2Max and zone 6 being Anaerobic. The more checkmarks the higher the impact.

2 Likes

Don’t forget that what TR is doing, is taking an anaerobic power target, and turning it in to a workout that is stressing your VO2max capabilities. If you don’t have a developed enough aerobic system, you won’t be able to repeat higher power targets

A truly anaerobic capacity workout will have complete recoveries between sets, usually a work rate of 1:2

Like this one:

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/139278-bird-1

Once you start doing workouts that include that power target on shorter rest, you are adding stress to your VO2max as well. you have to have both developed enough to hit target throughout the series.

1 Like

Sorry to relive this thread, but im a bit confused of the two zones as well.

I am supposed to a 6x2 min intervals at vo2max ( 342 w )
I do the ride outside instead, and its more difficult for me to keep at/under 342, on avr. i am riding about 370, which turns this into time in anerobic zone instead.
So what is the difference for me, and, does it mather as long as i am going as hard as possible for the 2 minutes?

@Kbonde At which % of FTP is the 342 W average interval goal? Do you use the same power meter indoors and outdoors?

To me it sounds that you either need to calibrate your power meter or your FTP-setting, a 10% increase of VO2max interval target is quite hefty

1 Like

Not sure, it might be individual specificity assigning zones from ramp test. For on/off type of VO2max workouts I usually need to turn intensity up 15% for up to ~90sec intervals. But for longer intervals (2min+), prescribed power levels are quite spot on and on mediocre day, I’m even struggling at it :man_shrugging:

EDIT: point being, I don’t care usually about specific power numbers, just trying to get HR into aerobic capacity zone and keep it there for prescribed intervals.

2 Likes

Go as hard as you can, taking consideration number of intervals and interval length. If you can do whole workout at 370W better for you. You are working higher level of your VO2 Max. Higher power also means you drain your anaerobic contributions faster, hence you work more aerobicaly during later intervals.

1 Like

Hi, its 120%.
Nope i dont… unfortunaly, so off cause that also has something to say

1 Like

Here’s my best explanation, as I understand it. It’s confusing because there is no clear cross-over, it’s rather a continuum.

When you are doing a Vo2max workout you are using some anaerobic energy production. The difference is that for Vo2max, you are keeping the power a bit lower so that you can either maintain it long enough (sometimes just barely long enough), or repeat it soon enough, that you can hit Vo2max and hopefully stimulate the associated adaptations. It doesn’t mean that you’re not also touching anaerobic power, because you are, because the power is still that high.

Classic A/C workouts are more like, you try to drain that battery quickly and fully, meaning power is higher and the intervals are shorter.

So if you overshoot power targets for Vo2max, did you make it an AC workout, well it depends.

If you either can’t hold the intended interval duration or can’t complete the intended number, then yeah, you took a Vo2max workout and made it more of an A/C one. But it isn’t just that like, it’s AC bc you crossed over that line, because you’d already been using anaerobic contribution before you crossed that line, just a bit less.

If you do that and you still can complete it / hit Vo2max, then either you’re stronger than you think or there’s a power measurement difference.

3 Likes