Dexa Scans! At home scales, my results and reference pics

Here’s an interesting one for ya. I picked up the Nokia scale a few weeks ago on sale, and have found it to be fairly consistent. On a particularly hot day, I decided to weigh myself before and after riding, to see how much water I lost, and how the composition measurements would be affected. Before the ride my numbers were: 154.3lb 14.2% BFP 81.5% MM 60.3% Body Water
And, after the ride (100 miles, on a 30c day): 149.6lb 12.3%BFP 83.3%MM and 62.3% Body Water.
How could my body water have gone up, when I lost 4.7lbs of hydration? Obviously the other results are all messed up as a result of the hydration levels, but I’m pretty confused about that water number. Maybe I don’t get how these impedance scales work?

@Nate_Pearson - So I guess this falls under feature requests. TR does Ride Sync with Strava, Garmin etc. As a Zwift and MyFitnessPal user I really like that they pull my weight from my Nokia Health Mate account. Any chance you could do this as well? I get on my Nokia regularly but updating in TR manually will take some memory…and I’m not getting any…look a squirrel.

Also topic related: Local supplement store 5 Star Nutrition does free body scans using an InBody system which they claim is 98% accurate. This system also uses impedance, although it’s not just through your feet but also through your hands. Has anyone used an InBody system and compared results to a Dexa? I do not have access to Dexa in my area. I asked my doctor as I know their group has a scanner but they will only do it to check for osteoporosis and it is NOT inexpensive.

1 Like

Auto weight sync is on the long term roadmap.

15 Likes

Do you have Garmin Connect and MFP linked? I do and when I update my weight on MFP it gets pushed to Garmin. I wonder if Nokia can update MFP which in turn updates Garmin?

I do have MFP and Garmin Connect linked. I didn’t do Ride Sync on TR with Garmin Connect because I didn’t it to double import data as I have had with MFP. But perhaps TR is more sophisticated and won’t double up on an identical ride?

Either way I’m glad it’s in the TR roadmap to do.

I have Strava and Garmin connected to TR and it doesn’t double import. It does show that it was seen on both sources, but only one ride is imported. Might we worth a shot trying. Maybe @Nate_Pearson can comment further?

We are more sophisticated :smile:.

It won’t double upload, you’ll get links to both Strava and Garmin.

1 Like

Is there currently a way to see historical watts/kg? You display the current but I can’t access historical data?

2 Likes

These scales are really only accurate on total body weight measurements. The key to having the other measurements like MM, BFP, BW are to measure yourself under consistent conditions and compare them over time. I.e. I weigh myself first thing in the morning, with nothing on, and after going to the bathroom. This way, the conditions feeding into the body comp measurements are consistent and this allows me to draw meaningful information from the trends…

4 Likes

Brief comment known by many but not all: the Nokia scale was the Withings scale before Nokia bought Withings (including its other home and health monitoring devices). Nokia did virtually nothing with this suite (except perhaps make the app less popular and fall from being a market innovator to a lagger) and now the co-founder of Withings is buying back Nokia’s digital health business that was formerly Withings. In other words, my Withings scale from a few years ago is the same as the Nokia scale at Amazon today, and the Nokia scale today will be the Withings scale tomorrow once the acquisition is complete.

3 Likes

Yes, definitely. I use the scale only to find a trend line, and for that it seems very accurate. My day to day measurements which are performed first thing in the morning, and under consistent conditions seem to track as expected. My post-ride weigh-in was more just out of curiosity, to see how that level of dehydration would effect the readings. I still don’t understand the increase in body water though. It’s obviously an error, but a curious one.

1 Like

No, not at the moment. We’ve got something designed but we haven’t hooked it up yet. I could see us revisit it once calendar settles down.

Great timing guys. After listening to Nate and company, I got my first dexa a couple days ago and am having some trouble accepting the results, I think it’s coming in way too high.

My scale says 10.3 % (regular mode), visual say 10-12% and the dexa says 20.5%!

Has anyone else seen this? Can a dexa produce bad results? 5’9, 146 lbs. If I took the dexa for real, then 8% would have me ~128 lbs which would be silly small.

DEXA is cruel :frowning_face:

Do you have a full six pack? I have a six pack (in good lighting and early morning…) and I came in at 14%.

My first dexa was just under 24%!!

3 Likes

how long after the ride? I thought I remember reading that the impedance reading will be off if you exercised recently.

@Nate_Pearson How’s the Tanita data compare to the Nokia? I had a wonky Tanita that I finally swapped out for said Nokia. But since my old data wasn’t really reliable, curious how you’ve found the two in comparison. (Trying to scale my Nokia data to DEXA based on your Tanita to DEXA)

Yeah. That works. That’s what I have setup. Nokia/Withings pushes to MFP, GC pulls from MFP. Doing that sync is the only reason i have an MFP account. DC Rainmaker had a post that talked about it ages ago.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation.

I still haven’t brought it home :sob:. I do know that at 14% dexa the tanita and Nokia were the same. I’m traveling for three weeks now so I won’t have a chance to test for a while.

1 Like

Okay, thanks!

Safe travels.