Detraining, Is Recovery Trainable, Mental Health and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 293

I just want to add, in the hopes that with more comments addressing it this noticed by TR folks, but the audio quality in this one was not what I have come to expect from these podcasts. The vigorous and extremely loud typing completely took me out of the moment and made it hard to focus on the content.

2 Likes

Costco Maple Syrup in the reusable gel flasks… rocket fuel and soooo good even on scorching hot days.

@ambermalika, DUDE! Get that septum fixed! It’s so worth it to be able to breathe and chew at the same time. I’m an ENT and do a couple hundred a year but I also had mine fixed right before Thanksgiving. What a difference, I should have done it years ago. Daytime nasal airflow is “chorus of angels” level. Studies show decreased RPE during aerobic exercise with improving nasal airflow, something I have noticed (on my many TR workouts of course). Recovery is pretty easy, just feels like a bad head cold for a couple days. Dooo eeet :smile:

1 Like

As a follow-up on the question ending around 1h14 on picking endurance workouts vs sweet spot in the base phase, Chad was saying that recovery from each are different (from oxidative stress from aerobic endurance workouts vs muscle stress from muscle endurance workouts). Can you explain this? The response said the recovery was different but didn’t say how. Piqued my interest and am just curious! Thanks.

Coach Chad, you were working to prosecute a conspiracy! Great discussion and the emphasis on making sure we are getting proper and adequate nutrition is proving valuable in my off season training.

Also, to one of Amber’s discussions. I showed up to a CX race with a grumpy stomach, having recently gorged myself on cookies, of course I was expecting a poor performance. On the contrary, I had a good race. Thanks for the product and the podcast!

Guys, first thanks for the training webcasts. They’re a great way to learn something while on the trainer doing one of your workouts.

I’d like to add to Chad’s comments about aging athletes and provide some personal anecdotes about what I’ve learned over about 10 years of structured training. I’m 63 years old and consider myself a gravel racer and endurance MTB’er. I was a runner most of my life, but due to persistent leg problems I switched over to cycling in my late 40’s. Over the past five years my 95%, 20 min FTP (most recent to oldest) has been 307, 296, 302, 312, and 277W. Basically pretty flat, and my training over this time has been generally consistent, though I have tried different emphases over the year. I’m 5’9”, usually 152-155#, and usually finish 100-mile midwestern gravel races in 6:20-6:50.

I guess my take-aways are:

1. Don’t use age as an excuse to not set goals for improvement. While for me the data may be more or less flat, I still believe I can get stronger and more skilled.
  2. Seasonal consistency is important. While I think my day-to-day and week-to-week recovery hasn’t changed much, I do think it’s harder to come back from an extended layoff as I’ve gotten older. Due to crash injuries I have had times when I was off the bike for several weeks, and it was not fun to get back in shape. While I do have a lower volume winter season, I try not to take more than a week fully off the bike.
  3. Overall strength training is key. I’ve done some level of off-season strength work for a long time, but there was a period when I was breaking something every other year or so (collarbone, hands, scapula, ribs). I had a bone density test done and was found to be borderline low, so I started to do weight-bearing strength work all year round. The work I do probably is more than really needed for cycling (though the upper body work helps with MTB), I believe it’s a great benefit for overall health, and knock on wood, I haven’t broken anything for a few years.

Thanks for the great discussion, I’d like to hear more about old guys still riding…

7 Likes

Great insights, thanks for sharing!

Yes, I think Chad said the difference was like “apples and oranges”. Please elaborate!!

1 Like

I seem to not find the references for this episode here or on Youtube. Is that just me or were they not posted?

Great episode this week, its perfect for my long runs.

However I am a little disappointed that I cant blame turning 50 in 2 hrs…on poor performance and that recover is all in the head.

Time to dig out the old meditation book again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Happy Birthday!

I tried talking to myself in 2nd person during Palisade today. Strangely, it works better than in 1st person. I’ll need some science to back this up, quantify minimum effective dose of 2nd person self-speak, and find out what Keegan does on this point. At this point, I’ll probably shift to 3rd person self-speak in the Basque language without knowing it.

2 Likes

I used different languages on my last interval of Keweah on Saturday.

1 Like

Chad mentioned a study he had read that talked about glycogen stores and how full they were even if you eat a proper dinner and the next morning, Alex then mentioned about that to consider for morning workouts. I was on the bike when this was discussed so missed the time stamp and cant for the life of me find again when relistening. Does anyone recall where this occurred?

I do hope whoever was typing their dissertation got it completed during this podcast :joy:

2 Likes

watching the livestream it certainly looked like @AlexWild is getting his PhD haha.

1 Like

He didn’t explained it a lot actually, but in the beginning of that section he said that the recovery requirements of aerobic endurance are more lax, instead SS workouts carry more stricter recovery requirements.

Which is also what I’ve seen experimenting myself and reading about other athletes’ training here on the forum, basically Z2 leaves you fresher than SS for the same amount of work (measured in TSS or maybe kjs).

1 Like

Love the podcast been listening for years especially on my morning commutes to work. But the person vigorously typing while Chad is conveying his points, please turn off the microphone, you are drowning him out.

4 Likes

Z2 leaves you fresher than SS for the same amount of work (measured in TSS or maybe kjs).

The near-term recovery implications are clear, but from a net-benefit perspective – what are the long-term (multi-week or multi-month) gains am I implicitly choosing with sweet spot vs. traditional endurance… if any difference at all.

It would be great to heard a clarification or deeper dive from @chad.

Right! That was so bad to listen to.

1 Like

Agreed. Why not having everyone record local tracks and combine? Cut out the coughs, background noise, and typing.

2 Likes