Deep dive into saddle position?

Hi all,

I was wondering if the TR crew could do a deep dive into saddle positions, specifically what coach Chad means by anchoring your sit-bones to the saddle. Does this mean having your hips perpendicular to the ground? Or is it OK if you roll your hips forward (like if you were going into an aero position) but keep the sit bones on the saddle?

Heck, maybe a bike fit deep dive would be a good episode too :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

There’s quite a lot of content on the topic in the comments of various workouts - including the bowl-full-of-water analogy, that says if you picture your pelvis as a bowl full of water when standing up, you should keep it full of water when on the bike - which requires tilting back relative to your upper body.

That’s true, I do recall the bowl of water analogy. So is the idea to maintain that no matter how aero you try to get?

They interviewed Dan Empfield of Slowtwitch in episode 119. They also spent another episode talking bike fit when they were preparing forth TT last year. Not sure if those episodes would help but they talked quite a bit about bike fit specifically.

2 Likes

A couple of others that discuss saddle related issues:

2 Likes

About a year ago I was fitted for my Tri bike by an experienced and educated bike fitter with the tools and certifications (including Dan Empfield’s F.I.S.T. system. This fitted resulted in a new saddle that is way more comfortable than what I was riding.

I’m a cheap cyclist - I’m very careful about how I spend my money. BUT - some of the best money I’ve spent was for professional bike fits by legit fitters. The comfort and efficiency improvements were very noticeable.

1 Like

Regarding anchoring your sit bones, I find Coach Chad’s workout instructions on this matter very helpful. When I visualize by sit bones anchored, and not rocking back and forth, it is easily worth 2-3 watts in improved efficiency on the trainer.

1 Like

#wattpointquestion :sunglasses: