Death to erg mode

How do you read while training without erg?

2 Likes

10 post titles everybody will click on!

2 Likes

Like TTing on a fixie - erg mode requires you to stay on top of the gear.

I didn’t know you could sprint.

That’s a shot bellow the waist man, :disappointed:

2 Likes

If you are on Win/Mac,

• You can use the ‘T’ key to quickly toggle between “Trainer” modes.
  • It is also selectable at the bottom left side of the screen. Click to alter modes.

If you are on mobile,

• You have to open the Devices menu, open the trainer, and then you can alter the trainer mode.
  • This can be done during a workout, but obviously takes some time. There is an open feature request to get an easier option.
2 Likes

That sounds like a lot of work…I’m just gonna leave it in erg mode. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

“Do this to make you faster”

Oh… wait… that one’s already taken :rofl:

1 Like

“Pedal really fast and raise your VO2max 10 points!”

Too much? :rofl:

I mean, my ability to outsprint you would be helpful if I could finish a ride in the same zip code as you :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

I’ve found that low cadence work over threshold has been extra challenging in erg mode since I swapped to 165s from 172.5 cranks. Makes sense to me given you’re even further out of your optimum cadence and have less torque at the pedals.

Cadence up climbs averages higher now too so I’m likely going to start raising my zone for low cadence and normal cadence zones so to speak. Luckily erg mode can’t force you into a cadence.

Depends a lot on the trainer. I have a flux, aka probably the worst trainer ever produced, and resistance is better. My friend has a Neo, where erg mode works perfectly. Find the flux just ramps up the resistance and fatigue builds up due to cadence rather than aerobic difficulty.

1 Like

We can do a zwift meet up with the keep everyone together feature on :rofl:

1 Like

I’ll throw down!

1 Like

I was also thinking of those terrible “Bicycling” mag article titles too :wink:

1 Like

I think I need to try resistance mode for my next set of shorter vo2s. If i am a bit lazy with the cadence before an interval starts its super easy to overshoot the target by 20 or 30 watts. It also seems to be more likely to take 10 seconds to lower the resistance right at the start of an interval than it would be otherwise. If i keep my cadence even its fine, if i dont lose focus its fine. Problem is vo2 stuff sure makes focus and even cadence hard and then this makes it WAY harder. I agree with the OP that I think the extra 10% for 5 or 10 seconds in even 1 or 2 intervals makes the last few a death march. I will give this a shot.

5 Weeks To Your First Century!!

2 Likes

I hate ERG mode. I never use it.

2 Likes

Only have a dumb trainer (and virtual power) and really like knowing the feel for all the gears, cadence and power, helps a ton out on the road, since i dont have a power meter.

2 Likes