Cycling art using AI

“Vintage Tour de France poster 1950”

2 Likes

I have played around with MJ myself a bit and think its quite fascinating. As you said, the images usually need some touch up, but for quick ideas it could be a very powerfull tool, if you know how to use it (=prompts).

Cool, from the title I was hoping for a tool to generate routes making Strava art…

Me too, I love it. I showed it to my partner and she wants it, too!

First attempt. Just one “cyclist” showed up.

2 Likes

DALL·E: two cyclists battling on a paved high mountain pass, art deco

4 Likes

Swim/ bike/ run triathlon poster attempt

Prompts:
Matte_painting_van_Gogh_of_the_start_of_a_triathlon_race_at_sunrise
Matte_painting_van_Gogh_of_a_bike_race_at_sunrise
Matte_painting_van_Gogh_of_a_running_race_in_mountains_at_sunrise

1 Like

Cool use of Midjourney by CyclingTips.

6 Likes

When you use these visual AI tools, just know that you are actively stealing from other artists with an efficiency that humans can’t achieve alone. What’s worse is that you probably won’t be aware of the many artists the AI model is pulling from, and won’t be able to attribute or acknowledge their work. Unless the AI output accidentally includes their signature or a fake signature based on their signature, which it has been shown to do.

Humans also steal art all the time with the excuse of ‘being inspired by’ another artist, designer, architect, copywriter, photog, etc. However, in my conversations with people who are really excited about Midjourney, they clearly don’t even think about how this AI was able to create an output. They typically have the type of excitement one gets when they can create new art with a new tool, the same as any artist, whether they’re a beginner hobbyist or lifetime professional. New tools can be fun and open up new ways of being creative that weren’t as accessible to them before. So, I understand their excitement.

It’s a new way of being creative that isn’t going away. As one of those lifetime professional creatives, I have to accept its presence at the least and maybe learn what I think are ethical ways of using it. Perhaps that’s asking for iterations on something I upload, I’m not sure.

I think it makes physical art even more valuable, to be honest. The way NFTs are often underwhelming.

That being said, the traditional art market is silly. However, the skill required to execute an original, physical art piece can take years to learn and is infinitely more satisfying to make and display because of that. Making a new work as a one-time, house-decorating hobbyist can be equally satisfying. It’s all relative.

Telling the story of Neige-Bastogne-Neige (not a typo) from a blank physical or digital canvas might not be as accessible to everyone, but imagine someone being able to swipe large portions of your hard-earned training advancements to use in their next race, and they neither acknowledge nor thank you for it. That’s a buried lede if ever read one, whoops.

1 Like

It looks amazing. I have one question, who is the final artist of this work? You or the AI platform that you have used?

Already much better at rendering bikes.

9 Likes

Wow ur arts are beautiful. I also tried to generate some cool thing there but unfortunatelly I just can no do it right. Any recommendations?

With DALL-E/ GPT4, I used the prompt, “Create a Van Gogh inspired painting of a cyclist climbing up a mountain like ventoux or alpe d’huez with early morning sunrise.” It produced this:

I then told it,
“This looks like a mountain biker - make it a road biker on a road”

And it produced the image above.

And that was it.

4 Likes

“Picture the most unnecessary cycling accessoire for road cyclists in 2023”

5 Likes

That’s not their art. They didn’t make it.

That one is really good. The type of pic I’d print and hang up on a wall

I used AI to make a T-shirt as an award for the kids MTB team participating in a distance challenge. It can be pretty amazing.

4 Likes

Another example of AI claiming that up is down.

1 Like

Me in 4x15’ threshold intervals

2 Likes

Put similar prompt to chatgpt and this is what I got :slight_smile:

1 Like