Cross is here! - 2022 Cyclocross Discussion

Thanks! I’ll be looking for the handup for sure!

1 Like

The specialized S-Works tires are a Nanometer under 32mm on these 25mm IW HL rims. They look minuscule, but they’ll surely pass the control jig.
Raceweight (minus 2 bottle cages, maybe a lighter saddle) should be spot on 7kgs.
I am out of excuses :joy:

6 Likes

Yeah, everything that is water soluble (like mud) will flush out when the pressure water hits it.

Local race series posted their race schedule today! I’ve been doing a few skills rides here and there so hopefully I’m ready too.

Anyone ever use a dropper post in a cross race?? If so did you like it? I have one on my gravel bike and thought about putting it on the CX bike just to try it out. It’s AXS and both bikes are AXS so it’s super easy to just swap it out.

1 Like

3 races in and I am officially hooked. I have been using TrainerRoad for a couple of years and finally dipped my toe into racing this year. I did a criterium, which was fun, but in a wild, scary, and “I might ruin my career with a crash” kind of way. I decided to try cyclocross and I was amazed by how hard, fun, and exhilarating it was, but in a safe manner with an average speed of 9 mph and an average HR of 186. The other racers were so inviting and nice that it made racing feel like a race with friends instead of people who would cut your front wheel into a turn without a second glance. I think I have found my people.

12 Likes

I get that, but I’m too heavy myself to even bother worrying about a few grams in bike parts.

1 Like

If you try to explain cyclocross to someone, it doesn’t make sense. Once you try it, it does.

5 Likes

Just try it? I think it would depend on the course - descents in cross are usually somehing like 2s long, so it just seems extra faff, and extra things that can break. Maybe if you have a course with a longer, or really tricky descent, or a series of downhill corners, you get to use the dropper.

1 Like

Races start in two weeks. Feeling okay about my fitness. Not the highest FTP I’ve had but training has been consistent. This is my forth year using TR and I still loath workouts like Hunger -4. Hopefully those types of efforts will give me the sharpness I need to compete. Also skills practice that starts this week, but I’ve been riding the CX bike all summer.

Anyone else using TR racing the St. Louis, MO cyclocross series “Bubba Cross”?

I have one on my Hakka MX that ive used a few times, usually for a few courses that have long descents. Ive been reluctant to use it if its especially muddy out of a probably unjustified fear of having it get stuck in the down position after a crash and having to stand for the rest of the race.

1 Like

A few questions I would appreciate anyones thoughts on:

• Does anyone know the max tire width on the Canyon Inflite? On the Canyon website it lists 35mm but I have sewn up to 40mm discussed in other places. Also, any suggestions on the most aggressiveve (i.e. MTB like) tread pattern and tire that would work?

• Recommendationa for cross shoes? Are most people just running XC MTB shoes given the limited running most courses have now? And for any Canadians - any good places to buy from?

Thanks!

No Cx for me this year thanks to a broken collarbone after what was presumably scientific research into how a body bounces when you throw it off a bike at 40mph, 6 feet into the air. (Front wheel caught a rut in exactly the wrong way on a gravel descent.) :cry:

2 Likes

XC MTB shoes are the common shoe for CX racing.

1 Like

Ah man, that sucks. Heal up!

Really 38 mm is the biggest I would go if you want any clearance, 40mm tires can rub in the rear but are fine in the front. Look at the Vittoria Mezcals in 35 mm if you want a similar mountain bike tread or for serious mud, I use the specialized Terra tire but that is 33 mm.

Mountain bike shoes are the go to, make sure they have the front screw holes for spikes if you plan on racing/running in muddy conditions.

I ride an inflite and run 35mm for cross and 38 for gravel, 40mm will fit tightly.
This year I’m trying the terravail Rutland 35s they have great side knobs and a tightly knit centerline for harder surfaces. Im pretty sure they changed the CX tire width rule for most USA cycling events and locally no one checks from my experience. I race in Georgia and the 2 races in Florida.

1 Like

You don’t happen to be in MN, @Sulliesbrew?

If so, there’s Karma CX the first weekend of October, then Croix CX end of October, Bravane CX then State two weekends before Thanksgiving (that’s it for our season, unfortunately)! :frowning_face:

Hey V hudacek, this is Jack, looking forward to seeing you and A hudacek at some races this fall, hopefully your better 1/4 is feeling healed up!

I am thinking about heading to trek cup considering our short schedule this year. Going to check for hotels when we get home from Hawaii!

1 Like

I always wanted to race cross so I took that stimulus money in 2020 and bought a CAADX, then all the racing got canceled that year.

Plenty of time to practice skills and I got a little overconfident in my bunny hopping last year. Didn’t clear a downed tree and flew over the bars breaking my collarbone, that was late August last year and missed all the races.

This weekend is the first race at Maymoor park, signed up for beginner class and got the bike ready. It might be 90° on Saturday and I really, really hate the heat (I prefer cloudy and mid 50s). My skills are super rusty, couldn’t even remember the proper way to dismount. I might skip the race because of the heat, but I’ll see how I feel about it in a few days.

4 Likes

Awesome to hear you’re back at it. Yea, I’ve got DCCX as my first ever CX race this weekend. It will be hot. But it’s only 40 minutes, so what the hell!

Good luck on the CAADX - go for it!