Cooling off a hot garage

About 1 hour east… Brevard county (Melbourne to be more accurate)

1 Like

Same man, it’s my office as the daughter moved into my in house office. It’s sometimes the nicest room in the house.

Figured I’d resurrect this thread instead of starting a whole new one :slight_smile:

I just moved and my training space went from a detached, finished building with a window AC unit to a Garage. No window and only a swing door so a portable AC unit isn’t an option.

Has anyone tried just running a dehumidifier to get the feel of the room a little more manageable and help the fans work a little better with evaporative cooling?

I have the same issue, I live in Florida (hot and humid).I recently got a dehumidifier for 10,000 sq. Fr. It definitely cuts down on the mugginess feeling in the garage. I also have one big fan, can’t remember the name unfortunately, and a smaller fan. It’s still hot but a lot more bearable. I also found freezing water bottles helps me feel a little cooler.

1 Like

So much is going to depend on WHERE you are. I’m in SW FL. 3 miles from the gulf. July, August and September in my garage, even with insulation, multiple fans, and early mornings is unbearable. If I opened the door, it wouldn’t help. So, I have AC. Best 3k I ever spent. Had a guy on the local Tri team that owns an AC company install for me. He knew what I was trying to achieve and made sure I put the unit in the right spot so I wasn’t freezing during recovery intervals.

Now, if you’re farther north and maybe only have 1 really miserable month you could get away with just a dehumidifier. It might be worth a shot as you could always return it if things didn’t go as planned.

I put off AC for the longest time and that was just dumb. I train so much more now and my sessions are better because the space isn’t miserable. I can go from unit off and 89 degrees to 77 degrees in about 15 min. I can’t even get my kit on and fill my water bottles that fast!

2 Likes

You can do a mini-split that run on 110. Small hole through the wall. I want one vs my portable AC in the garage. More $$$ than I want to spend (budget $1000 - some are more, some are less) right now. can you put a hole through the wall and put a dryer vent cover over it? Vent through that. That is what the previous owner setup in the garage I have. Works ok, just not enough to really cool it down when it is freakin hot in Indiana.

1 Like

If you shop around… you can get an Inverter Air conditioner for about 600-700 (then installation) plus garage door insulation.
I think with a 1200 budget one could convert the garage to a nice and cool-ish area to do workouts.