Continental goes tubeless with their new GP 5000!

the 5000 TLs

Sorry, I meant have you set them up tubeless or are you running then with tubes?

Oh, tubeless - the TLs are the tubeless specific version of the 5000

What are real width and height of Continental 5000 700x28c TL on rim 19c, 27mm outer width?

On DT Swiss RR21 with 18c, 23 it is 29mm width and 31mm heigth above rim.

Now with a large part of the northern hemisphere riding season done, what are everyone’s impressions of the new GP5Ks, TL or not?

As a first impression as I just switched to set from Schwalbe Pro One TL on Prime RR-38 disc carbon rims. They were actually more difficult to mount than the Pro Ones despite many postings around that they were installed without levers. I got one on and took a hit to the ego and had to take the second to the LBS to mount. They got it done, but it wasn’t easy. The front didn’t hold air for 24hrs despite not seeing any leakage with soapy water. Hmm. Removed, checked the tape (my usual culprit) and remounted. This time using Stan’s sealant rather than Finish Line (which I wholeheartedly do not recommend). We’ll see if it is still holding air when I get home today as there was a tiny leak in the bead with the soapy water than wasn’t sealing immediately.

I’ve only got a ~500 miles on my GP5K TL in 28mm, and inconclusive so far. Probably will pickup the 25mm next, and try it. My favorite tubeless tire is still the 26mm Specialized S-Works Pro Tubeless, but it is no longer available and is being replaced with a new tire.

I’ve been riding my XC mountain bikes a bit more than my road bike over the summer, but still have a bunch of 50 - 100 mile rides on my GP5k TL 28’s. Running at 60psi, they have felt fantastic on the mixed road surfaces I’ve been riding on, including a lot of fresh chip-seal.

I will be taking the road bike to Maui in January for a 2 week vacation/mini-training camp. The Haleakala 10k descent will be a great test. It’s a very fast descent, provided you don’t get stuck behind a car that won’t let you pass, with a whole bunch of hairpin turns that let probe the limits.

Lots more opinions in the thread linked above