Compression socks or surgery for varicose veins

Hi James,

I’m in a similar situation to yourself with the exception of the ezchma.

I have two large varicose vains in my right leg. Neither have ever caused me any discomfort but they are horrible to look at. Long story short, the valves in the vains a broken and to use the phrase my GP used, ‘gravity is not my friend’. The blood pools in my ankle.

Having visited my GP a month ago, I was prescribed below the knee compression stockings. The doctor said that the only way I’d be offered a surgical option on the NHS was if I had varicose ezchma. The GP said that the condition would worsen if I didn’t wear the stockings. I have been wearing one on my right leg and I’ve subsequently seen a surgeon on my wife’s private healthcare.

He gave me the option of three procedures. I can’t remember the medical terminology/names of the procedures but the cheapest option (£1,300) involved injections of foam glue into the vains. The second option (£2,600) fuses the vains with heat. The leg is then wrapped in constricting bandages for two weeks, forcing the body to use other vains. The third option (£3,200) was straight up surgery. Open up your groin and snake the vains out. The surgeon didn’t recommend this procedure to me.

I was told that the second option saw a 93% success rate over the first three years. I’m seriously considering the second option.

Hope this is in some way useful.

1 Like