Compatability with 1993 Trek 2200 16 speed road bike

I have an old 1993 Trek 2200 16 speed road bike. The rear drop out is 128 and it has a Shimano 8 gear cassette. Kickr and most of the other drives I have looked at online specify a 130 rear drop out and has an 11 gear cassette. I am guessing it will be hard to make my bike fit. The TacX Neo 2T also specifies 130 dropout but is compatible with 8 gear Shimano. Do you think it might work with my bike?

I am brand new to trainers. Your guidance would be appreciated.

Eight speed road width is 130mm. Your dropouts may measure 128mm but I bet your hub measures 130mm which means a 130mm trainer could also fit. It’s only 1mm to spread on each side.

The 6/7 speed road standard was 126mm.

I seem to recall some frame makers splitting the difference between 126/130mm for a wider range of compatibility.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments. I agree the spread is only 1mm each side. But then I have to deal with an 8 gear set up against a 11 gear cassette on the Kickr. But only ever having used a smart trainer once on a friends bike I am a little cautious.

Assuming the derailleur covers or moves across all 11 gears that comes standard on the Kickr, does it really matter that on my road bike I only have 8. Obviously the training effect will be different but I can live with that.

Anny comments welcomed.

The width on Shimano cassettes are all essentially the same. An 8 spd rear derailleur will cover the range (small cog to large cog), although you may need to tweak your limit screws. What it won’t do is shift well….your shifter determines how far the RD moves on each shift and it will move more than the spacing in an 11 spd cassette.

If you just ride in ERG, you can probably find a cog that works acceptably and then just leave it in that gear. You may need to put on an 8 or 9 speed chain due to width issues w/ the cog.

1 Like

I was assuming that you’d have to fit an 8 speed cassette on the Kickr. I doubt your 8 speed chain would even fit between the cogs on an 11 speed cassette even if you could get it to line up.

Wahoo says you can do it with spacers:

3 Likes

I was using my old Schwinn Prologue on my Elite Drivo for the first 2-3 years after upgrading to the smart trainer. I just pull the dropout to fit. It was on permanent trainer duty with occasional trip to the driveway for a wash. It would’ve drove me crazy if I had to mount/dismount it constantly. I did get really tired of dropping the chain using my old 7 speed setup with a 11 speed cog.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my posts here. I also made an inquiry directly of Wahoo. They cautioned against trying to make my old bike fit to KICKR. See text of email below. Back to the drawing board for me.

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out. As the Kickr was developed for modern day bikes with modern gear ratios and drive trains it is unlikely that your bike will work with the Kickr. You can get away with using an 8 speed cassette with the correct spacers, but the frame design of your bike is likely going to be the issue and will not be wide enough to actually sit on the Kickr correctly. I feel like you would likely damage your frame if you were to try this.

Thanks for the question and please let me know if you need anything else.

Kind regards,
Jordan.

Customer Service Coordinator
Wahoo Fitness

Put the 8 speed cassette on. The KICKr should come with a 1.85mm spacer.

I use 9 speed and had a KICKr. All good. Lots of people seem to get confused about this and trainers. I never understood why. Just look at it like a bike wheel.

1 Like

I’d bet good money that customer service rep is so young they’ve never even seen an 8 speed cassette. If the dropouts fit it’ll be fine. Don’t think that 8 speed chain is going to work though.

1 Like

Wahoo would never say anything except that….but it doesn’t mean it still won’t work. They are just (rightly) protecting themselves.

1 Like

Hmm…

Source: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/204281874-Difference-between-10-speed-and-11-speed-KICKRs-

Maybe they think it’s an issue because that Trek is not compatible with 130mm hub?

1 Like

Found a 1993 Trek catalog and the 2200 came with Shimano 105SC hubs and 8-speed cassette. The hubs are 126mm. So I guess that answers the question.

1 Like

Fitting 130mm means spreading the dropouts slightly to put it on the trainer. It will not hurt the stays.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html