Commuting and training. How's people doing it?

Why not, primary driver is volume, then some high intensity, then the intensity distribution. If structured isn’t as much volume as commuting it’ll struggle to compensate. Two day is a powerful stimulus which is what the commute is. My commute used to put me at 8-10 hours volume every week (other than holidays) year round, before you even touched anything in evening or weekend. Structured 5 hours a week, for 3/4 of the year ain’t going to get near.

2 Likes

I really think it’s a bit simplistic to dismiss commuting as “junk miles”. Mine is unstructured, but it’s still volume (as you say) and TSS.

1 Like

Its not gonna make you significantly fast - I use to be a courier; I have many friends that are bike couriers and have consistently logged 1500-2000km months for years, have been cycling way longer than me but they have a lower FTP and WKG then me. I log 6 hour weeks excluding my commuting.

They probably could sit on a saddle more comfortably for hours, but I am definately faster…
However - they probably can tolerate big training loads so if they did decide to start structured training; they will definately see a big improvement.

I am sure my 2 years of being a cycle courier helped me loads for when I started getting more serious and started structured training.

So commuting is definately good for cycling - but it won’t get you to a high level of performance.

3 Likes

Totally man, it’s base miles essentially so I’m trying to figure out a way of getting the structure in too. Since I made the post, I’ve opted to commute 3 days so I can do my workouts on the trainer without hindering progress I suppose

I’ve just started using TR, so I’m still working out how to do structured training outside. I’ve been commuting every day for the last 3 years, with about 25km per day the short way. I like to change it up, sometimes Z2, sometimes pushing the whole way, sometimes some loose intervals. Sometimes I like to do a longer ride of up to 40km and do either low and slow or add intervals, or I take the hilly route, riding a 300m ascent.

My plan is to do the 3x training programme (including after my commute) and use the commute to recover, burn off stress, or just have fun - the decision is based on feel. I have my power meter mounted, so I record everything. I’m fairly happy with my approach, but I’m curious to see how the structured training will develop with this.

Over what duration? They are likely faster over the flat part of the power curve.

1 Like

When I was a courier I dropped an entire cycling team on a climb while eating snacks, I was doing 10,000 miles a year and in the shape of my life. YMMV

1 Like

They are probably faster after 8 or 10+ hours - but thats likely down to mental/nutrition more than anything. Their work days around 12 hours long. My best power numbers at around 3-5 hours.

Aside the point - we are talking about commuting, totaling less than 10 hours a week; Your body will quickly adapt to the same stimulus (i.e 45 mins poddle to work) - you aren’t going to get anywhere performance wise from JUST commuting.

Ofcourse you could USE commuting to exploit fitness - such as extending your commutes, or integrating structure within commutes.

IE. I leave work on thursdays - ride to my XC races (1 hour), XC race (1 hour), ride home (1hr) - solid 3 hour session which I integrated within my commute.

Many rides I know extend their commute and fit a 45 minute interval session inbetween. But if youre just cycling to work through traffic, stopping and starting at lights, same day after day. I think you won’t get anywhere too far in terms of fitness.

Thats great - what was your FTP/WKG like then vs now?

hahaha I didn’t have a power meter back then, but based on my current numbers, I’d guess I was climbing at 4.5-4.7 w/kg if I didn’t smoke too much weed that day. Also my TTE was ridiculous, I could ride all day and not get tired and do it day after day after day.

Also, bad bad assumption that my riding was any kind of base training. I was riding flat out a lot of the time to get as many runs as possible during the day. Flat out 1000w every single traffic light hundreds of times a day. I used to go home with a lot of cash and the competition in the shop was fierce. Same guys were racing alleycats and stuff outside of work.

Again commuting doesn’t have to be slow or base. Find segments, attack them, sprint, ride at FTP the entire commute, be smart and it works.

3 Likes

Indeed just because it’s unstructured like that; doesn’t mean it isn’t just as effective.

I think structure is probably ideal but consistency and variety go a long way.

1 Like

I’d disagree that it’s necessarily better. As long as you’re maximising what volume you have, are including high intensity, and have an appropriate distribution of intensity; then it doesn’t really matter how that’s achieved structured or unstructured. Depends on the person and whether they have a feel for it; you can have bad structure and good unstructured.