Combine Short & Sustained Builds

If Short Power ( v02 ) helps to break your ceiling. Sustained Power helps you work at high % of your ceiling. Would it benefit you to alternate between Short & Sustained Power Builds. I see a lot of people doing multiple builds back to back. I wonder if it would a benefit to work like this example :
SSB 1&2
Build - Short Power
Build - Sustained Power

SSB 1&2
Build - Short Power
Build - Sustained Power

this for the purposes of increasing aerobic capacity ( ftp ). Personal gain not a Racer.

1 Like

As a idea - yes. But the sustained power consists 2 vo2 max workouts (mv & hv) - the same as short power build. So the main difference is focus during workouts on more shorter and “spiky” efforts. I would rather do HIT maintenance speciality, change anaerobic workout for vo2 max and then sweet spot base part 2 to achieve the result you have described.

2 Likes

Interesting approach. Thanks

It is basically doing some sort vo2 max block. You push your vo2 max during the block and then push from below focusing on threshold and tte. Mechanism is closer described in:

1 Like

I don’t think you really need two Builds. Either one will lift your ceiling, and subsequent SST and Threshold training will raise your FTP.

It’s more of a matter of specificity, and the fact that whichever one you’re better at will probably hurt just a little bit less.

1 Like