Cheapest nonperishable training food per gram of carbohydrate?

Then you should probably stick to the cheapest liquid carbs, e.g. sugar water.

Iā€™m not too lazy to eat dates/figs/Hariboā€¦ Again, I am asking if anyone knows of any other cheap nonperishable foods you can just eat.

Whats the point if you arenā€™t doing 5 hour trainer rides (and even then you donā€™t need solids) and donā€™t need them on outdoor rides because of ā€œthe prevalence vending machinesā€?

Make a stack of jam sandwiches, stick them onto your bar ends, and be done with it. Cheap AF, too.

Iā€™ve taken peanut butter sandwiches on 4-5 hour gravel rides. They worked pretty great as fuel. A little bit of fat and protein in the mix seemed to work well for good all day energy.

3 Likes

Legend Eddy B used to prescribe cheese & jam sandwiches. Same effect.

Please explain?

Take two pieces of bread and jam them together :wink:

8 Likes

Iā€™m at a loss as to what youā€™re actually looking for. You ask for the cheapest fuel but then donā€™t want the cheapest powder or solid. Are you specifically asking ā€œwhatā€™s the best snack in a vending machineā€?

4 Likes

I think heā€™s confused by the ā€œstick them onto your bar ends.ā€

must have di2 and the bar ends are unavailable? :joy:

Not sure if itā€™s the cheapest per g of carbs but I love Soreen malt loaf (https://www.soreen.com/products/original-malt-loaf/). Do you guys even have it in the US? It hits the spot, tastes nice, costs about Ā£1 per loaf so pretty cheap. Personally I donā€™t really care if itā€™s not the most efficient way to fuel, it does the job. On 90 min SS rides Iā€™ll happily chew through half to 2/3 of a loaf.

3 Likes

I love malt loaf as well - but to eat that much on a 90min ride must mean youā€™re eating almost constantly ā€¦ it takes me about 5 mins to chew down a single slice :grinning:

1 Like

image `

10 Likes

Back in the 90s as a junior we bought cheap no name cola, left it out overnight to go flat, and used it slightly watered down with a half pinch of salt (sodium) and half a pick of lo salt (potassium). Cheap and it worked. On long rides we took a ham or a jam sandwich as well. :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

The Soreen banana bars are great ride food too. Very cheap, very convenient and less farty than the real stuff. Not as tasty, but I can still happily munch down half a dozen in a long ride. I keep some next to me on the trainer too for long workouts.

1 Like

If you must have solid food Iā€™d reckon white bread sandwiches with a spread of choice (vegemite for me) or some home brand fruit cake, sliced with a bit of butter to make it stick together/easier to swallow.

But on the trainer I usually eat jelly snakes (the big ones - killer pythons) and drink malto in water.

iā€™m not sure i entirely understand the point of this thread, unless itā€™s just an academic exercise. Does it really matter if itā€™s THE cheapest as long as itā€™s . . . cheap enough?

if youā€™re talking about eating such vast quantities that the amrginal differences in cheapness start to be meaningful, i might suggest you give yourself a break and just pick the thing that you like the best (or a variety of things that you like). You can more than make up the small differences through other lifestyle choices.

ā€œCheapestā€ as in ā€œmany items that are very cheapā€ not ā€œthe one item that is literally the lowest priceā€.

It turns out the energy cookies from the grocery store might have been cheaper gram per gram than bulk figs and datesā€¦

1 Like

they also might be easier to digest also when youā€™re getting up to challenging quantities.

like imagine just slamming a dirty kanzaā€™s worth of dried fruit, definitely seems uhhh ā€œriskyā€

1 Like

Make up a batch of flapjacks. It takes half an hour start to finish. Super Cheap, super tasty.

2 Likes