Canned Corn and Black Beans - My Cheap, but Effective Training Fuel Source

After college I could not find work, lived in a car for a while, lived on canned refried beans and tortillas from a panaderia. Today, my cheap meal is some baked sweet potato, black beans, cotija cheese, on a nixonized tortilla with maybe red chile. Dirt cheap, delicious, and nutritious.

1 Like

Heck yeah. I eat something like this all the time. Throw some home-pickled onion on there too.

If youre a meat eater I like to spice up a beef roast in a slow cooker when its on sale. Tons of pulled pork to add to things like this and freeze it for later.

2 Likes

Avocado :avocado: so much better

I’m following this recipe:

smells great. Cheating a bit with Seeds of Change ‘Quinoa & Brown Rice’ in the microwave.

3 Likes

Seasoning was perfect. Convection oven at 425 - I pulled the broccoli out after 15 minutes, and then yams for another 10 minutes. Next time I’ll set oven to 400, and put yams in for 15, then add broccoli and cook for 10-12 min.

I hope your saddle has a center cutout! :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Thanks, great recipe and will use that next. We buy the 3lb bags of broccoli at Costco and I’ve been getting bored with steamed broccoli. The one I found was a top hit from “roasted yams and broccoli” search - we both loved the seasoning. I’ll do a recipe mashup and cook the broccoli at 500 next time.

earlier this week I dropped the steamed broccoli on my plate, and topped it off with leftover marinara sauce and meatballs. That was really satisfying, but not as good as roasted veggies! Next time I’ll make two large trays - as I’m the king of leftovers!

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for the meal tip. Will try it out next time I’m stocking up on foods.

Things I’ll usually get from Costco: Egg whites, turkey bacon, peas in a can, brown rice, broccoli florets, brussel sprouts. I’ll cook the brown rice, broccoli, and brussel sprouts to stock up on them and then depending on what I want, I’ll reheat it while cooking the egg whites or turkey bacon as a second item and then alternate between a third item. It becomes a rice bowl of some sorts. Not sure how cost effective it is, but I saw Costco and my eyes lit up, lol.

1 Like

I personally don’t like reheated oven roasted/charred broccoli. If I’m reheating I tend to drop the broccoli in raw and the microwaving cooks it.

1 Like

Hmmm, even when reheating on pizza stone in a toaster oven? You know I respect your kitchen skills and fitocracy culinary pics!

we roast those on a pizza stone and they are fantastic! Going to use the ‘eat yourself skinny’ recipe’s seasoning next time!

Having never tried that method of reheating I defer to your expert knowledge :nerd_face:

1 Like

not an expert, just speculating because that’s how I reheat pizza :wink:

I don’t know what it is tbh! I am happy to reheat roasted cauliflower so maybe it’s a texture thing on the softer parts? (Just hypothesising here.)

@Scheherazade ok I’m lazy and tossed leftover yam/broccoli/rice onto mixed greens after reheating in microwave. Plus some diced up leftover tri-tip and tomatoes. Yummy.

3 Likes

Yes! Yammy
Baked Cauliflower and fried broccoli is my favourite!))

How do you fry it?

When you want something made from black beans I love the black beans pate. My girlfriend is a food blogger (helps enormously with eating healthy and tasty). The recipe is simple and works great if you want other texture and consistency. The recipe is in polish, google translate will help. But if anybody is interested I can post the recipe in English

1 Like

Please stick to actual science and leave the gmo scare on Facebook.

“ Risk assessments based on human biomonitoring and monitoring of levels of glyphosate residues in food have not identified concerns for consumers. “.

4 Likes

I didn’t read all the replies on the thread. I found a vegan based chef on YouTube Gaz Oakley, OMG I wish I had smellavision, watched few of his videos and he has what seem like some very flavorful recipes.

I am not vegan, I have just been doing some reading and lots of the information/knowledge I am picking up is leading more and more towards a plant based diet. I still love me my chicken and fish, and the occasional rare steak. Though I am quickly learning about the antiinflamatory benefits from a plant based diet. It definitely very interesting.

1 Like