Can your normal cadence be too high?

Same here - outside rides 100+ rpm. 94 feels like grinding it out. It is fine unless you need lower cadence.

Pros can maintain high cadence hill up. I did the marmotte last year - first mountain went well but from the second mountain thinks got worse and worse because you cannot maintain 95+ with a normal gear and a non pro wattage.

I had a similar experience. My cadence drifted up steadily in my 4 years of cycling, from 65-70 as a beginner to 95-100 last year. A lot of conscious effort went into that initial, then it became second nature.

However this year Iā€™ve been experimenting with allowing myself to drop my cadence back to 75-80 when I feel I may need it (typically after 1 to 1.5h at very high intensity, when trying to keep pushing out high power). Iā€˜ve found that it works almost like a second gear: I couldĀ“t maintain threshold at 95rpm in that situation, it just felt impossible. But I can keep going a long time after dropping to 75ish rpm despite the initial feeling of ā€žthis is too much tension in the muscles, Iā€˜m going to blow up soonā€œ.

N=1, but thatā€˜s been one of the biggest revelations of the 2021 season for me.

So I now believe oneā€˜s ā€žnaturalā€œ cadence can be too high, if you convince yourself that your natural cadence is higher than what it actually is. Thatā€˜s an easy trap to fall into I feelā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m between 85-100. Usually spin faster the harder it is