Can I have a Training Plan WITHOUT heart rate data?

I have an awkward pulse rate and don’t want to confuse training to power with cardio. Is this feasible?

I have an existing plan, to implement do I recreate the plan, or just stop providing HR data to my existing plan?

My typical pulse range, per my Garmin Forerunner, is about 32-160 bpm. Cycling my perceived effort keeps me below 130 bpm for any sustained effort. The 160 side of my pulse is running or anaerobic climbs.

When I look at HR Zones from any source, i have to almost triple (seems just 1x more for a 60 bpm person) my HR before it’s recognized as effort. Example: Strava says anything below 120 bpm is Zone 1. I can’t tell how TR handles cardio zones so I want to leave that complication out for now.

Don’t wear a HR monitor?

Why don’t you test, then just set your zones appropriately for the bike? Max HR, resting HR, Zones are individual for everyone.

3 Likes

Easy, but does TR software care.

From what I remember them saying HR data is not used for any workout analysis outside of

I kind of think this is a waste for machine learning. Change in hr from one internal to the next inside a single workout and hr drift could be somewhat helpful to look at (a less strongly correlated input) not to mention if they could measure r-r timings to do alpha 1 calculations

5 Likes

TR will track heart rate as a metric, but all plans and progression thereof is based on your power. The “plan” couldn’t care less if your heart rate monitor recorded a cardiac arrest, or if it was strapped to your dog’s chest and not your own.

5 Likes

AI will evolve to have feelings, just give it time.

1 Like

PhilW

Reasonable recommendation to test, but where does TR allow you to tailor HR Zones? Part of my problem statement: I can’t see how TR bins my effort in HR.

I can deal with HR via Garmin, Wahoo or Strava. I’m trying to avoid TR Adaptive Training issues. Seems this is feasible in TR, so long as I work Training Load elsewhere like my Garmin watch it sounds good.

Why would it have that if it doesn’t use heart rate?

1 Like

Is that a wrist/ optical monitor? fwiw, I find my 245 fine for running/ walking/ easy cycling, but whatever way I position doing hard efforts on the trainer it doesn’t read correctly (I’ve examples using it of my heart rate, apparently, going down for intervals and up in the recovery!). I use a chest strap on the bike.

I think this was a feature request, and one I actually find dead handy for rides without power. I used to go to Training Peaks and get their hrTSS and then update TR.

TR already has TSS based on HR if you didn’t use a power meter, see the link I posted above

1 Like

Thanks, but equipment isn’t the issue. I get good enough HR data, it’s whether I can exclude it from TR as at this beginning point, I think it may hold me back, or at least confuse things.

Tks again

@OZisKTB The above advice is correct. For your concern about your HR data ‘confusing’ Adaptive Training, that won’t be the case. AT is looking at the power readings from your smart trainer to determine the success of your workouts; not your heart rate data. No worries there! :+1:

3 Likes

:flushed: :rofl:

I just asked an AI if it had feelings

“ I don’t currently have the capacity to develop feelings, but I am programmed with algorithms that mimic the behaviors and emotions of humans.”

1 Like

Hows that different from us?