Calorie counters, which one?

<end thread/mic drop>

I tried counting calories and it never worked well. ALso, it’s SO annoying. Is that one cup or 1.5 cups?

After a massive ride, logging 3000-5000 calories is a bummer.

Have you tried going by feel and hunger? I realize this isn’t easy, but it is the best way to feed the body only when it’s hungry.

And get all junk food out of the house.

Good luck!

Brendan

2 Likes

My absolute favorite is MyFitnessPal. But here are some other interesting options with similar functionality.

I second MyFitnessPal. Awesomely simple app, especially once you’ve entered your foods for the first time.

1 Like

After listening to coach Chad a while back he referenced Jason Fung and the Obesity Code. I started reading it and it has opened my eyes and clearly debunks calorie deficit as a long term solution to weight loss. Here is a YouTube video of him talking about it

3 Likes

The “Lose It!” app rocks. The scanner makes logging easy and accurate.

2 Likes

My fitness pal is the gold standard.

1 Like

I used that one 10 years ago when it was about the only cc app out there. Now that Under Armour bought them the entire enrollment/set up phase totally turned me off. Also the food database in Lose It! 4.5X as large as MFP.

1 Like

thanks I downloaded and am giving it a try. The last couple of years I only used MFP app to sync weight from Fitbit scale to Apple Health. Did log a single meal in MFP last week, and already I prefer Lose It after logging breakfast and lunch. The food database in Lose It seems extensive, and the app layout seems a bit more modern.

1 Like

Yep so far the database has been amazing. The only aspect of this and other counters I’m not sure about is the budget (Lose It!) calculates which is 2348. So, BMR+whatever calories you use during the day minus exercise. I had my actual BMR tested maybe 4 years ago at 1850cal/day. Other online calculators are close. On Lose It I did dynamic, inputed all the data with a 1/2 pound/week deficit. 498 cal/day for calories burned beyond rest used to live seems high. Time will tell. May have to manually adjust…

Ok here is what it gave me for “Not Active” as I sit at a desk all day:

which I’m guessing means:

• 1973 after subtracting 250 calories for the “lose 1/2 lb per week” option

therefore

• 2223 calories burned during the day (BMR + calories for ‘not active’ activity level)
  • assuming 1823 calories BMR (round number, easy math), that means it is giving me 400 calories for being not so active / less than 5000 steps a day

Wanted to see that, somewhere, rather than hand waving and forcing me to play around with settings. Seems about right.

Anyways, yesterday was Sunday but ate like a typical Mon-Fri. Was suppose to do 2 hours on the bike but cut it short. Here is what I got:

That also seems about right, the total was showing “under” until I recalled drinking two cups of coffee with half & half. Its an inexact science because I wasn’t going to weigh the leftover green beans, or attempt to calculate the calories in the garlic sauce. Close enough.

More interesting was that I got 170g of protein which put me a little over 2g per kg lean body mass. Definitely didn’t need that glass of milk with 35g protein powder (drank it thinking we were going to have a light dinner). I’m doing a lot of leg work in my home gym, and high torque work on the bike, so my real concern is making sure macros for protein are sufficient.

My older daughter decided to start logging with me, she is using Fitbit and after listening to her tell me about the great Fitbit food database I had to hand her my phone for the Yakisoba noodles we had with dinner :wink:

Used the bar code scanner at lunch today, I’m going to pay the annual subscription and go premium for a year.

1 Like

With a recent LoseIt app update I noticed that you can scan the nutritional info panel and it will OCR and import all of the information. I had an item that wasn’t in the database and instead of having to enter everything it was really nice to just scan the panel, confirm the values, and create the new DB entry.

I have had premium for over a year and don’t know if that is required for the nutritional info scan, but pretty nice to have.

2 Likes