Calculating LT1 and LT2 approximately without a blood test?

Im on the facebook group, that is why I thought they pretty much given up on it. Ill look back at some point and see if there is any hint of progress.

There was a poll a while back asking how we would determine it.

3 Likes

Source:

1 Like

Wow, sounds familiar but I only did during ride and after ride checks for 5 months. Got tired of it. Attia is not messing around. I feel lazy now, and cheap. Costs him like a dollar a ride :sweat_smile: (assuming he gets his strips from Jerry)

ā€œTrainer Roadā€. See that?

2 Likes

I reviewed his numbers on that sheet of paper, and comments on lactate variations. Simply reinforced my pragmatic trending analysis of power @ 140-bpm (my HR proxy for LT1).

I use the talk test. I started about 20 watts lower than Iā€™m at now last year. Todayā€™s workout was 2 1/2 hrs steady at upper zone 2. Watched British Detective shows.

1 Like

Steve Magness had good post on zones. Basically, donā€™t get too caught up in the precision of zones and overemphasize it.

the zones and the borders between them are arbitrary. For the most part, they are not concrete. Even though we treat them as such.

4 Likes

Hahahaā€¦we all thought similar. Good 'ole sryke!

1 Like

I beg to take note of the entire statement :slight_smile:

By the way, I really like him as a podcast host. Enjoyable.

And I found it interesting to note how he stayed silent with this recent polarized battle. He is even an author of the pro paper. He is pretty smart with ducking his head on social media. He figured this out early, Iā€™ve noticed this several times now.

Mmmm ā€¦ we should really open up a socia media thread.

3 Likes

You guys think Iā€™m a ranting whiner over this stuff now? Go ahead and open a social media thread if you want to watch a grown ass man cry and lose his mind in real-time. Youā€™ll be able to follow my descent into madness from each successive post.

For the love of all that is holyā€¦donā€™t start one Iā€™m begging you.

2 Likes

I liked his ā€˜almost haikuā€™

Lots of easy
Occasionally go hard, vary it up
Very rarely, go see God.

7 Likes

How are people getting on training with lactate?

hmm, I thought this was the ā€˜how do you estimate/guess at first (aerobic) lactate thresholdā€™ to help with training thread.

Iā€™ve self-estimated endurance/zone2 HR using long 8-12 hour rides in the mountains as ā€œall day HRā€ and aerobic threshold.

After a couple months where life had me doing lower training volume, a month later Iā€™m back to all-time (previous was 2017) high power at top of endurance/zone2 HR. Those rides are in 80-90F / 27-32C temps, versus earlier this season the temps were around 60F / 16C for same power-to-HR. Yes there is a vo2 bump from training in the heat, and its mostly offset by training in the heat. Iā€™m starting to think it might be a good idea to try the sauna at the gym when temps drop in late October.

1 Like

So apparently mobile metabolic cart products are coming to the market. I have never heard of this start up company nor do I even know if this works or is credible, but, if anyone wants to measure the breath for metabolic calculations and analysis this product exists:

1 Like

VO2 Master has been out for years but itā€™s $5000+ so this will be interesting if itā€™s accurate.

Interesting that it doesnā€™t quote any data comparing it to a properly calibrated metabolic cart or similar. Also can a company such as this be viable just selling one product with no ongoing revenue stream via a subscription. Remember Humox muscle oxygen sensor and Oura ring went to a subscription model after 2/3 years. All the ā€œreviewsā€ Iā€™ve found just seem to be regurgitated press releases. Iā€™ll be watching it though with interest.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure about the low hanging fruit part. Endurance physiology studies have maybe dozens of participants and in the grand scheme of things, thereā€™s a tiny amount of research thatā€™s been done into any of this. I think weā€™ve just scratched the surface.

After 2 years of doing more endurance focused work I have a good graph from Intervals.icu on power-vs-HR at relatively the same FTP:

That is % threshold HR (LTHR).

Previous seasons I did not have good data between 90-150W. Whatā€™s somewhat interesting is its basically a straight-line below FTP, which is what Iā€™ve seen in several studies on PubMed.

That graph does require some context, as it can reflect the type of intervals you do, if you do some z1 work, etc., etc.

The ā€œbenchesā€ at 83% and 85% and 88% LTHR are interesting, however Iā€™m not sure if they reflect the work Iā€™m doing or have some basis in physiology. I will say that 83% is where I detect a small change in breathing, during warmups. And that 88% is an average HR that I can sustain on harder 6-7 hour efforts without feeling crushed for days.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, some comments:

Itā€™s really a shame. You have been training for 7 years and canā€™t produce a chart with at least 2-3 different ā€œseasonsā€.

Thatā€™s why I always advice ppl that if they are going for powermeter, always get dual side and a high quality one.

Too short and too early for effective detection

This type of chart is mostly (only?) useful for comparisons in my opinion. You need at least 2 curves.

I believe your ā€œaverageā€ methodology is quite flawed, if I understood it correctly. Unless you have a ride with steady HR 88% of LTHR for 6-7 hours, I donā€™t think you can make the average claim.

Finally, itā€™s interesting that your curve doesnā€™t exhibit the chaotic behavior typically observed above 120% of FTP.

1 Like

I cut off the chart above the ā€œchaotic behaviorā€ which is primarily chaotic because of doing intervals, and above threshold its hard to hold long efforts before you hit a wall. Most of the efforts in that area of the chart are where Iā€™m doing endurance at say 138bpm and then do some 350W intervals and the first set is skewed to a HR below LTHR. And then a set break to bring HR back down again. That chart requires some context. I havenā€™t recently done a bunch of 13x30/15 or similar where it might provide a little better data to remove the chaos.

FWIW I do have rides for 5-8 hours with fairly steady HR 88%.

This is really an interesting comment. I had many seasons without ā€˜long enoughā€™ steady efforts below 150w and you immediately bring up shame and comparing different seasons.

What does comparing a shift have to do with estimating LT1 without a blood test? If the curve I posted above shifted to the right, how can you use that to estimate LT1?

Are you planning to share anything with this thread?

2 Likes

I assumed you werenā€™t able to compare seasons because quality of data. I guess Iā€™m confused as to why you canā€™t use the compare chart as intended.

I think if LT1 is within the shifted section of the curve, you can demonstrate an improvement.

I started my cycling journey with RPE and HR, went on a power, lactate rabbit hole and came back to HR and RPE. Is good enoughā€¦for endurance stuff. I know what happy tempo feels and I like to keep most of my endurance rides a notch or two under that, with selected excursions above.

Xert TP and LTP are pretty good boundaries for training when hibernation comes, as for power based numbers.

60% of Karvonen Heart Rate Reserve is also pretty good for estimating LT1.

Heat is the most important variable for HR based training of endurance.

Thereā€™s an unhealthy obsession with ā€œsteadyā€ efforts in my opinion. This is driven by the research side of thing that have a hard time modeling reality.

88% of Max or 88% of LTHR? I have to see to believe. So you can ride 8 hours with no downhill? Or is this an indoor ride?