Cadence/speed sensor

I am new to TR and am looking to get set up on a dumb trainer. I am looking at the wahoo element bolt with the speed/cadence sensors. This is available as a package for $350. Anyone have experience with this setup? Or should I just use my smartphone with the sensors instead of the Bolt? This would bring the cost down to $70. I am also considering the Quarq power meter, but would like to try out TR first before committing to so much $.
Thanks!

1 Like

That is a great setup and should server you well.

Welcome aboard!
While I don’t have first hand experience with the wahoo bolt I ride with guys that use it and are happy with it. You may find it’s nice to have a head unit when on outdoor rides. I enjoy having it out front to see the time, etc.
It would be cheaper to start out with just sensors and sync them to your phone and that may suffice if you only ride with the sensors indoors. Since you are already toying with the idea of a power meter the head unit makes more sense. You’ll be able to see real time power displays while on your rides.

1 Like

The wahoo speed/cadence sensors will do great for a “virtual power” setup on your dumb trainer. The Bolt is a nice unit for outdoor use, but it’s of zero value with Trainer Road indoors on a dumb trainer.

1 Like

You’ll need the head unit when you ride outside but not indoor when you’re using TrainerRoad (the app functions as a cycling computer when you’re using it indoors).

There is no need to buy the head unit/computer and the sensors at the same time other than the small bundle savings. They do not come “pre paired” and, the wahoo and garmin sensors with each work with the other guy’s head units (Ant+ and Bluetooth are open).

So, if you want to get started fast and cheap and put off the head unit decision, just get the sensors.

1 Like

I use the wahoo bundle you are looking at and they work great. Before that I picked up a cheap Chinese cadence sensor and HR monitor, and well…they didn’t last very long.