Bonking (?) on Andrews every time

All I can do it try and try again :smiley:

Just need to reset my brain first. Right now I would rather have my teeth pulled than do another Andrews :slight_smile:

Andrews is not supposed to be hard. It’s an easy endurance workout at 65%‐75% of your FTP. The fact that you’d rather have your teeth pulled than do another Andrews session has you in a negative state mentally. Take the negative thinking away and go into the workout thinking it just another easy endurance ride. If you are still failing step back and start over with SSB I & II then SPB, after you complete these phases do your Specialty Phase. Or if you don’t want to put in the hard work, just lower your FTP until you are able to do an easy endurance workout like Andrews. There are definitely no shortcuts in Trainer Roads structured workouts. The structured training is hard and doing it correctly is of utmost importance IMO.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t want to do Andrews right now either.

Maybe try some easy sweetspot like Mount Field. I always used that one as a sort of “reset” after a few days off. It’s tough enough that you need to apply some focus both physically and mentally and you are getting some benefit. But on any scale of things it’s not a tough workout.

1 Like

Makes perfect sense.

Also while trying to figure this out I have noticed that lately my sleep has changed and according to my Whoop I have barely been getting any REM sleep and very little deep sleep while sleeping for 8 hours per night. So manu factors to consider.

I don’t use a Whoop, or track my sleep, or eat well, and probably drink and smoke too much, but it doesn’t affect me doing a .7IF workout. I think your FTP is just set a bit high. It should be mildly unpleasant, not impossible

1 Like

I actually blew up on Pettit once and it resulted in a very unfortunate situation where I sent an expletive ridden text message intended for my wife to a professional acquaintance I had just had a meeting with earlier that day. Needless to say I was pretty embarrassed :flushed:
I couldn’t really explain how I got to that point, I didn’t have an extremely busy or stressful day at work and my HR didn’t seem unusually high but it was the last day of my working week. I can’t quite remember but potentially I had a few nights of poor sleep. I just think crap workouts happen sometimes and you just have to put them behind you and move on to the next one. Just don’t send any messages while you’re suffering through them!!

2 Likes

Short update from me. The day after I created this post I came down with a horrible cold. It seems my body was fighting something and my performance was impacted by that.

2 Likes