Bike Painting Videos

Hello! For the obvious reason I’ve found more time to spend/waste on youtube. I stumbled upon this painter called Martin Grey who runs a painting/repair studio called ETOE (http://www.etoe.de) The videos are entertaining on their own and I like the guy’s presenting style. I’m also a little tempted to try painting a bike frame off the back of this: spray paint a bike at home with supreme quality DIY - YouTube

Pros: Most materials easily available in Europe and reasonably priced, even including a paint suit and spray mask (reasonably priced compared to say, swanky wheels).
Cons: Two days of sanding; bye bye fingerprints. (Not in this video but in others) You either need a ventilated spray booth, or outdoor space after it rains to get the dust out of the air for best results; spraying indoors is a considerable explosion risk :sweat_smile:. Obviously it looks a lot easier than it is, this guy is an expert with years of experience.

Anyway, have you tried painting a bike? What was the outcome?

ETOE videos/bike are nice with a full pro setup.

Checkout spray.bike for the diy approach

Custom spray mods (on youtube) is also good for painting techniques.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations!

Nice! Did you use masking tape for the stencilling? Cool effect.

I will say the guy on the ETOE makes it look doable although you can tell he is well practiced. I am going to give it a shot. I have an old repaired frame that I was going to piece together with bin parts. My son designated it Frankenbike, so that will be the theme. Stay tuned.

1 Like

Came across this the other day, might give this a go. Seems less intrusive and permanent than stripping and painting the entire frame.

2 Likes

Cool styles! I definitely got some inspiration :man_artist: Thanks!

Well, inspired by this post I took a shot at a paint job. I had a repaired frame and a basket of parts that my son and I used to cobble up a Frankenbike for him. We painted the base red, applied temporary vinyl cut on a Cricut machine, painted it green and then removed the vinyl. It is tricky to get the edges of the paint smooth when the vinyl is peeled. You have to balance peeling it dry enough not to smear and wet enough not to peel. But it is something I would try again. The key lesson for me was that every defect and struggle came from not being patient. My son is happy with it.

5 Likes

I absolutely love this!!!