Big Goals, Unbound Gravel, Injury Prevention and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 346

BAM! Thanks so much for the wicked fast edit and superior info.

Clearly hits all the concerns we saw from the old one.

:100: :medal_sports:

2 Likes

Just 38 mins into the cast, but WOWIE, WOW, WOW!!!

Some cool new stuff coming from the sounds of it. :smiley:

12 Likes

Where do we sign up for the FTP estimation tool beta?

4 Likes

Should be here, whenever they flip the switch (but it’s not there yet).

2 Likes

Thanks for the openness and future guidance @Nate_Pearson!

That makes me more excited than ever about the future with TR, continuous improvement indeed!

I appreciate that it is a difficult balancing act for you to promise features that are devilishly complex to get right and deliver on time.

Still, for me, knowing the vision and having a view on the roadmap is very nice, and I think it is a very courageous thing to do to share that despite the risks of setting off a vocal minority, if these projects hit bumps down the road!

That’s coming from someone who was vocal at times during the AT beta roll-out :man_facepalming: :sweat_smile: And yet I am still here and appreciate immensely the massive improvements the TR platform has gone through over the years I have been using it! The whole TR team is really knocking it out of the park!

2 Likes

Super excited to see some of these new features come out! I’m especially looking forward to the time availabilty plan builder, which will be amazing to utilize.
Also @ambermalika i always appreciate your down to earth, realistic views on life and training, thank you!

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Grandfathered cost of TR

Fizzzz @Nate_Pearson those features all sound so good!

1 Like

Loving the sound of the new feature intimated by Nate! FTP estimation will be interesting and I’d be keen to test the testing :joy:. All this work keeps me on TR and I believe you guys do offer excellent VFM.

Goals wise…building again for a better CX season 22/23 with an eye on a long term goal in 2023 to cycle Lands End to John o Groats in the UK. This means I’ll need to be more resilient than every so that’s where the work will be.

Hey, @mcneese.chad tipped me off to the news so I listened to the podcast and am suitably impressed with what’s coming :slight_smile:

I also am looking forward to welcoming @Jonathan into triathlon on the best threads in the forum ;). Naturally, I’m sure Coach Jonathan won’t want to manually record his swims and runs in the TR Calendar right? :slight_smile:

My focus is on running this year so really I’m flying the flag for triathletes and when I return to multisport, my thoughts on the great leaps in adaptive training coming ftp estimation and prediction, adjusting intensity of workouts automatically are that they sound great and I wonder how the toll from swim and run could figure into those calculations?

Also I have some experience with a fully adaptive system from another company that does consume all three sport activities automatically. The problem I found with workout prescription that is constantly changing is that it’s hard to live with. Todays workout might switch from an easy session to a hard session, tomorrows workout might be cancelled if you go too hard today. That sort of uncertainty is hard to commit to.

3 Likes

Yes, I too thought thank goodness @Jonathan is starting triathlon, since it might give some motivation to finally sorting out auto upload of runs and swims request that is now 3.5yrs old!

3 Likes

Really looking forward to FTP estimation, I’ve been following structured training for many many years so have been manually adjusting my FTP both up and down based on my feel of workouts, will be interesting to see how close the estimation is to my feel!

I just had this same thought :thinking: :laughing:

2 Likes

As much as the big goals section, and the new features/legacy pricing discussion has taken the forum by storm, I’d just like to say how much I appreciate the discussion around concussion protocols, what concussion really is, how it impacts the concussed person, etc. Hannah’s “your brain is a snow globe” analogy seemed brilliant, and the fact that each of the people on the show had previously had to deal with concussion (some very recently - @Nate_Pearson , some a while ago - @ambermalika , some multiple times - @Jonathan ) and could share their personal experience with the listeners made for an enlightening listen while I was doing Division this afternoon. Thanks!

4 Likes

This was a great episode all the way around, and I’m completely STOKED about the new features. As a new TR user, I am more than happy to invest my subscription money in this tool. And I’ll venture to say that if I had to make a choice between the others I use (Zwift, FulGaz, etc.) and TrainerRoad, at this point TR wins.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson I’ve been thinking about the features mentioned in the Pod and am genuinely excited about the potential. I’m curious to know what your personal thoughts/plans are for Group Workouts are currently? I might submit it as a Rapid Fire question to @Jonathan for next week, but not sure if it fits the format.

(I’ve just listened to the Group Workout announcement podcast - it’s super interesting listening to the old Pods and understanding the clues dropped here and there)

I’m really looking forward to any triathlon plan / coaching / adaptations. I’m still totally in the dark not totally ‘getting it’ how it’s all worked out and planned.

I can not wait for your new feature of “Plan builder with Time Management” (telling plan builder when, and for how long on what days I have time to train). This will allow me to use adaptive training (sorry but substituting workouts with train now for every workout was just to much). Thank you very much, great work, and great product AND NO MORE RAMP TEST = Happiness… Love it and can not wait for this either.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson can you provide author for “Do the Work”. There are a lot of books with same title. Thank you!

I am relatively new to TR and continue to be impressed by all the content and new features in even the last few months since I joined. Certainly a good value (IMHO) for the $$ for me. I am stoked about the new estimated FTP, which should allow for increased adjustment to workouts daily within a block with AT. Plus not “losing” a day to ramp testing is not insignificant (a test every 6 weeks = 8 tests a year. For someone on low/mid volume that’s almost two weeks of training days over the course of the year). Keep it up team!

1 Like