Bibs & Shorts Discussion 2023

I never had any issue with them being too hot at those temps……YMMV, though.

I wear these from 30-60F

a bit chilly from 30-45F, and a bit warm at 60F.

Lightweight and I don’t notice the lining - “Italian thermal stretch fabric” - it has a soft lining but doesn’t feel like fleece.

Can you help with a sizing question on the Assos?

Do they fit differently than other brands?

Looking at the Mille GT and it’s recommending I get XL. I have bibs from Rapha, Black Bibs, and Pedal Mafia and all of them are Large and I think they fit well. I’m going to measure my waist and hips tonight for more accurate sizing on their site but was just wondering if anyone knew offhand.

If it helps I’m 6’4(193cm) and 190lbs(86kg) and generally wear pants that are 33 or 34.

I wear both in a large. Not much different to me except the Millie GTO C2 pad is thicker.

1 Like

I am the same height as you and a little lighter, pants are 32, and I have the Mille GTO C2 bibs in XL. I would not want them any smaller or they would be too tight on the quads. I suspect the strap length might also be an issue.

1 Like

Bib sizing is less about waist and height and more about thigh circumference, in my opinion. Too loose is better than too tight. If you’re ordering online, I suggest buying two different sizes based on what you think will actually fit. Send the one that doesn’t fit back.

1 Like

The brevet bibs are by far the most comfortable bibs I have worn, especially in Florida heat.

The Rapha Chamois is very comfortable in their higher end bibs. Of course if you buy core you are not going to be happy. But they definitely know what they are doing. The straps on their bibs (especially brevet) are lightyears ahead of what other companies are doing. I hate the crossing straps.

I recently just switched to their 612r saddles. Never knew a saddle could feel that good. How are the bibs holding up? Slightly worried about the “thin” chamois

I still like it very much. The “thin” chamois is not a bug, it’s a feature. I use it with Selle Italia SLR boost

1 Like

I use small (130mm) SLR Boosts (superflow) with the Endura Pro SL short with narrow pad, seems like a great pairing.

Black Bibs review here…

Started with the $40 originals. Thick pad, but it has been relegated to the ‘1-hour ride’ on the mountain bike. The chamois just doesn’t last during the ride. Definite deterioration of the pad after a couple of years. That said, $40 is $40.

I decided to splurge on the Black Bibs Ultimate with upgraded chamois this winter. The medium fit was awesome for me. Perfectly snug (5’11"/162) and leg liners are very nice. However, the chamois is not appreciably better than the cheapies. The chamois seems similar to the material to high-end bibs, but it is relatively thin/flat without the pronounced side ridges like the original BBs and other high end bibs I like. I guess if you’ve got a saddle which fits you perfectly it might be really good option. For me I’d call this a 1.5 to 2 hour bib max. Next time I’ll buy a higher-end bib on sale at a similar price point. If black bibs ops is lurking here - you ought to give your customers an option for a more substantial chamois.

To me this sounds like a good chamois, haven’t tried them but prefer something with a firm thin chamois like the Endura Pro SL, rather than a puffy thick chamois that interferes with the shape of the saddle and bunches up like a diaper.

My advice would be to follow their sizing guide. I fell just inside their S recommendation, but having bad luck with S in some other brands I ordered two shorts in M. Black Friday deal.
The M was a bit roomy both around the legs and the shoulders, but the biggest issue for me was that the pad-placement seemed off and my ass and junk did not place right.
Having used just one of them I exchanged the other one for a S. It fit like it should do, with nice compression and just the right pull over the shoulders and the pad in the right place for me.
The size M short is doing short interval duties now, and the S short is my all time favorite bib.

btw:I also love the phone pocket on the back of the cargo shorts, and the cargo pockets on the thigh.

For another point of view on the 7Mesh. I also bought through here with a discount, and just never got along with them.

First the size chart was too small. I measured all my leg dimensions based on their chart and ordered Small somewhat skeptically (I’m Large in Assos). Sure enough, I couldn’t even get them on.

Thankfully they refunded me and I bought the Mediums with good success.

The quality is solid. No complaints there. However the leg grippers rolled up on me after not much time in the saddle. It’s just a straight cut design.

I also found the chamois far too thin compared to my Assos bibs. I just couldn’t wear them for more than an hour.

Lastly, I found the double material around the mid section made them feel hot and sweaty.

Assos all the way. RS9 for epic weekend rides and Mille GT for training rides. Just got new Mille GTs at official Assos Outlet for 83€.

Assos fits me too. The GTS for road rides, GTC for gravel rides. The GT and GT Ultraz are nice for cooler weather, although those are not warm enough for the nordic winter. I have used Assos for a long time and still have many pairs of their older Equipe, Habu, Tiburu etc.models in good enough condition for rainy day rides and for mtb.

2 Likes

For the love of god people don’t recommend a product unless you provide a link

Unfortunately Rapha has had serious quality issues with their Pro Team bib chamois lately. The chamois just breaks in to two parts in the middle after just one or two rides. Rapha has replaced the bib shorts, but in many cases the replacement pair has had the same issue. I am not sure if the issue has been already solved with the latest models.

The chamois in the Core model is actually not bad at all. If I am correct it is the same that was used with their higher priced bibs earlier. The Pro Team bib chamois is even better, though.

1 Like

Can anyone comment on the relative fit of Pactimo and Castelli or Veloccio bib shorts? I wear a small in Veloccio & Castelli, and I’m trying to figure out if I should get a small or x-small Pactimo