Best/favorite workout for climbing faster( 1hr to 2hr climbs )

Hi everyone! I’m new to the Trainer Road Forum and I’m very excited to be part of this community. I would like to ask if anyone has a recommendation for a workout/interval to climb faster (1 hr to 2hr climbs). All info will be appreciated. Thank you!

1 Like

In a climb of that length you are basically looking at holding very high power (at or close to FTP) for a long duration. Threshold/sweet spot intervals like Lamarck or Mount Goode fit the bill.

Take a good look at sequencing Sweet Spot Base 1 and 2 and then Sustained Power Build because they also work in beneficial VO2 and over unders to help raise FTP. Make sure you are training your ability to work in and out of the saddle and to refine your pedaling technique along the way.

So…what are these monster climbs you are training for?

Oh …and unless your weight is already dialed in that’s another place to find some time.

1 Like

Thanks for your recommendation! Glendora Mountain CA is my go to climbing spot. I just generally love climbing and want to be fast at it. Thanks!

1 Like

You could also look at Holt Hill - I did the +2 version for 90 mins the text is aimed at climbing and or look at Eclipse (+3) for 2 hrs of fun and just do all 4 intervals at low / climbing cadence. To be honest you could just pick any workout with long intervals and do them at your climbing cadence.

3 Likes

I’m a fan of Mont Albert (especially +1). Four different intensities right around tempo/sweet spot. Low enough that you get a good amount of time to really focus on cadence and out of saddle climbing, but with the +1 version, you get a good sweet spot session too. I haven’t done it as much, but Mont Gosford is a slightly longer version of Albert, if you want to up the duration a bit.

3 Likes

Initially, during your base phase, a really good one is Carson. I often add it in as an extra workout to get some low cadence and out-of-the-saddle training, specifically to mimic climbing.

1 Like

My favorite climb! What is your PR goal? What’s your usual cadence as well, because that will take into effect training as well. While GMR averages only 6%, your cadence can still fall lower than your flat ground cadence due to gearing, weight, and the steep parts (ie the beginning after the horse stables).

1 Like

From the gate to the shack, I want to do it sub 50min. My PR I believe is 59 min. Thank you.