Benefits of adding time

I find sometimes I can spin an extra 10-30min after a workout (SSB mid vol). Is there an exponential benefit for this as you’re already fatigued? Also, when doing this should one stay in Z2 or in recovery?

Many people do this in order to increase their TSS slightly or just simply have a little more recovery time on the bike after the workout. While I don’t believe it will have an exponential benefit to your fitness, it may benefit your recovery allowing you to hit your next workout harder!

So, to answer your second question, If you are looking to increase your TSS a little, I would ride in zone 2 and then recover for a couple minutes before hopping off the bike but if you simply want more recovery time so you can come back stronger the next day, stay in your recovery zone for that extra time. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

4 Likes

I’ve been doing 10-15 min of extra cool down after every ride. My impression has been that it helps a lot with recovery and hence my ability to handle more TSS and more days of back to back workouts without a rest day. Where i really notice it is when I do outside rides. Seems like the lack of a thorough chill down after even a modest outside ride leaves me more fatigued than it should.

2 Likes

Many of the + version of workouts do just that, especially in the Mid and High Build programmes. It’s a personal thing I guess but I quite like the sessions that are structured this way.

1 Like

I certainly find that as I get older I feel better after a longer cool down and also with having a recovery shake. Might be a placebo affect but I am happy with it.

1 Like

@Spycegurl There are two different benefits of the additional riding, and thus it depends on what you are trying to achieve to determine whether Z1 or Z2 is right for you:

1. Cool down/recovery: Muscle fatigue is very real. And while all TR workouts include a cool down phase, it may not be enough for you. Additional spinning in Z1 (e.g. 30-40% of FTP) will help as will stretching and rolling immediately subsequent to your training session while the muscles are still warm.

2. Endurance: TrainerRoad plans, similar to CTS’ “The Time Crunched Athlete”, are designed for . . . the time crunched athlete - to maximize the performance gains in the least time possible. However, both plans lack what traditional plans include, that being long base endurance miles. So any extra Z2 endurance time you spend will help develop your aerobic base (Z1 will not accomplish this, hence why they are known as “junk miles” when not used for cool down purposes). Note: If your training goal(s) include long endurance rides, such as a century/double century, you will need to include long rides, for fitness purposes, psychological purposes and to get your nutrition/hydration strategy dialed in.

1 Like

Exactly… This is why I have a stated goal to push to 2 hours during the week as much as the daylight and weather allow. My trainer goal is 1.5 hours.

This is why I want to be able to easily extend the warm up. If you don’t start your intervals until 30m in it is a lot easier to get 1.5 hrs on the trainer.

1 Like

I usually add 5 minutes at the end of most workouts unless they have a 10 cool down. It just gives me a chance to spin my legs so that I don’t stiffen up. On my outdoor rides, I record my main ride, whether that be VO2 intervals, sweet spot, etc., then I record my ride home (usually around 10kms) as a recovery ride. Hopefully I’m not violating one of the unwritten rules of cycling or TR. :wink:

2 Likes