Beef between Justin Williams and Travis McCabe

Man I feel like this post has everything you need to know. I agree with McCabe, Howes should be the only one wearing the jersey on the Men’s side. It’s a road discipline. And you have to like that he doesn’t wear his out of respect for that. I guess that’s something you’ll only see on the pro side. Whether this is a fake argument or not, the billion jerseys the US has for every discipline/state/etc is kind of funny.

And wow, that head to head. Just wow. All bark and no bite?

8 Likes

I mean, crit is still a different discipline, so I’m fine with the jersey, but there should only be 1 per discipline, not two; one for “pro” and one for “amateur”.

Corey Lockwood has a stars n stripes, but doesn’t wear it that often, if at all.

The State thing doesn’t bother me. A lot of US States are the size of European countries! Many are bigger.

1 Like

Justin is technically not pro; he’s not listed on the UCI roster so that he can continue wearing the national champs (amateur) jersey. Makes sense, the jersey is good for marketing which is what they are all about.

7 Likes

That’s disappointing. He (and Travis for arguments sake) are 31yo, so they both should have some good years left.

I think Justin is listed as the manager? Then, I guess this is where it gets blurry. The assumption is in order to not be the manager, they would have to hire one, but that costs money.

I think Corey is the stronger rider of the Williams brothers though and he’s 27yo?

Seems good to get eyes on the sport but different jersey thing can be confusing if you’re talking about amateur/masters/pro/etc. I’m of the belief that people should just wear whatever kit they want. If I won a national championship and had jerseys made up, you better believe I’d be wearing them to all the group rides and whatnot.

Racing I guess is where it gets tricky. But I believe that Justin said before one of the reasons he wouldn’t race pro this year was because then he wouldn’t be able to we the national champs jersey and that is a big deal to him and the team.

At the end of the day, it’s fast guys on bikes in lycra arguing with each other online. Exactly what the Internet was designed for!

6 Likes

Yeah I’m in the same camp “where what you want” but, for stripes only if you earned it.

If I won a jersey I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t wear it only because when I was a teen I got caught up in thinking wearing something (like a national team uniform) made me a bad ass. I’m 180 degrees the other way now and try to perform like a badass in unmarked/plain gear.

I race with many guys who won stripes and continue to wear them on their kits (neck and arms). Again if it were me I think I’d pass. It’s interesting that only one guy I can think of doesn’t wear any stripes and seems to be wicked into just blending in…and that’s Eric Marcotte (former US pro, masters and I think amateur US champ). Refreshing to me.

Corey Lockwood wears his team kit, despite being the 2018 and 2019 TT Amateur Nat’l Champ. He only seemed to rock the Stars n’ Stripes at L39ion.

I see the Stars N’ Stripes like the #1 plate in motorcycle racing. The defending Champ gets to rock it, but has to forfeit it if they lose. They obviously get to keep it (for motocross) or they get the bike or body work to remember it by, but that’s it. If they won the #1 plate in a feeder class, they have to forfeit it if they move up.

I don’t have much of an opinion one who should wear which jersey, but I will say their little spat on IG was a bit eye-roll inducing. The only one that came away with any class was Alex Howes.

3 Likes

Alex is a smart guy, so he doesn’t really fall into the meathead type of spats.

2 Likes

crit racers are def meat heads of the cycling world

5 Likes

“Do you even crit, Bro?”

4 Likes

Internet drama between anyone over the age of 18 seems really stupid no matter how merited the problem could be. Makes cycling feel like the WWE now all we need is to get Connor McGregor style clashes at the starting line

3 Likes

reminds me of some threads around here :slight_smile:

@topic: i actually dont even know who these people are. my… I feel very old now

1 Like

I think it’s been better lately with the departure of the most active instigators, but if these guys keep it up they need to wear bibs cause it seems childish AF to make a publicity stunt out of

This is the stupidest beef I’ve ever heard of and everyone involved in this looks like an idiot

Honestly, I feel like an idiot for choosing to read about it and make this comment

This is some fake rap beef level nonsense

12 Likes

I think the general etiquette is you’re able to wear your championship jersey in the discipline you won it in. I.e. Lockwood would wear his in a TT, but not RR or crits, and Justin and Travis would wear theirs in a crit, but not RR or TT. I don’t see any problem with them wearing their jerseys in their respective disciplines (and I don’t think any of them actually wear them outside of them). My region has several masters national champs and they all most definitely wear the stars and stripes when they’re racing. I can’t imagine any of us would do any differently if we earned them.

5 Likes

So Justin could have raced Pro Nationals just after he won Amatuer but said didnt want to race without his team.

1 Like

There’s a jersey for TT, Road, Crits, and a bunch of track, MTB, etc. There are jerseys for age categories (one of them being elite, under 35 I think). Then there are the same jerseys for the pro ranks. Maybe the pro jerseys should just be the combined under 35 (or maybe it’s 30).

Everyone should get a jersey

3 Likes

Alex wins the day:
https://www.instagram.com/stories/alex_howes/2568048117346642658/

6 Likes