Beef between Justin Williams and Travis McCabe

If he’s not on the riding roster, and is the team manager, does that mean he still doesn’t?

From a long way away - Aus - this is too funny. Surely it’s like the movie about Andy Kaufman?

For what it’s worth there are (at least) two guys locally I know of that have won national age group (i.e. non-pro) crits and neither of them got a special jersey.

I believe everyone got to keep them another year, with the Stripes up for grabs this year.

Criterium
For the criterium, all riders must meet one of the following criteria, as well as Eligibility requirements:

1. Be a member of a UCI registered road team.
  2. Be a member of a Domestic Elite Team.
  3. Any D1 USA Crits team may enter as long as category requirements are met.
  4. Top-20 finisher in the 2019 Pro Criterium Championships.
  5. Top-5 finisher in the 2019 Amateur (Cat 1) National Criterium Championships.
  6. Any prior USA Cycling Pro Criterium champion from the previous 5 years
1 Like

What team raced in the amateur and in the pro field in 2019 road race

Around 2 minutes into the below podcast he talks about being invited in 2019 but being told he couldn’t bring his team and he’d have to ride solo. There’s a lot of other really cool stuff in this too, including the vision that he has for the future of crit racing in the U.S., which I think could actually be dope as hell if he gets some buy in.

3 Likes

Quick look says at least three:
First internet
CS velo
Mikes bikes

1 Like

Yeah, I like what Justin is doing. I think he gets it. If it means they have to fake hype some beef so they can bump bowling, axe throwing, and corn hole from ESPN, then I’m all for it.

9 Likes

I’d argue it deserves way less attention, as it’s basically the only thing in the American bike racing consciousness. Even TR are training plans are so subconsciously imbued with crit mentality that they are essentially fatally flawed no matter what sort of whiz bang AI they come up with.

5 Likes

Yeah, Dante is a good IG follow. The winter stuff in Boulder is super photogenic.

1 Like

Admittedly stupid question…are there a lot of gravel races in Europe these days?

Seems like most of the big gravel racing tends to be in the states.

I wouldn’t disagree on that. But I talking about the road scene only. Grand Fondos are literally a bigger segment of American ridership yet crit racing is the only cultural marker.

It’s the same phenomenon that keeps high end stage racing from being sustainable here. Even the ToC couldn’t hack it.

Mess of hashtags. Yawn social media

Will never happen. Even wives and girlfriends don’t want to hear about the races let alone attend. This type of thing bubbles up every 20 years. Just enjoy the sport for what it is.

1 Like

I mean, the United States is big, so there is a lot of opportunity for gravel riding.

Our roads / driving culture isn’t what it is in Europe, so road riding is tougher. As is organizing a stage race with local, county, and State jurisdictions / LEO’s / Emergency personnel.

And Lachlan is Aussie anyway :wink:

6 Likes

How do they get to race both and he couldn’t?

He’s an adopted son :rofl:

1 Like

Not with that mentality it won’t. Thankfully Justin, despite sharing your jade, is willing to push his vision into a reality and change the sport to make it work. I see the vision and recognize the pieces, and I’m willing to be part of the change in my area when the opportunity arises. I’m positive I’m not alone in that.

4 Likes

My guess is that the race promoter/governing body has discretion here. As noted by others, Justin said he could have raced, but his team was not granted entry.

The results I linked were for the road race, but presumably this the same situation was in play for the crit.