Are big brands’ bib shorts worth it?

For me, based in Europe, the santini bibs with the Gitevo pad are just as good as Castelli and you spend about a third less . I also got some pactimo bib shorts when they were on sale. They cost a bunch more than the Santini, they feel like they are very good but the pad doesn’t seem to do it for me. So, it’s a very personal thing and not really indicative of quality…

I think is a personal choice. Everybody is different, everybody has a different body composition. So comfortable bibs can be a relative thing.

I tried budget Bibs. That didn’t work. I also tried Pearl Izumi, that didn’t work. A few years ago I tried Castelli. that didn’t work either. Over the last few years, I tried Rapha. That was a bit better. I even tried the high-end Rapha bib shorts, still did work for me.

Finally, I tried Assos. which worked really well for me. what makes the Assos my go-to is the fact they are super comfortable, especially in my adbomen. I suffer from abdominal chronic pain and I need a bib that is more relaxed in the abdomen area.

So my point, I think is a very individual thing. But also a budget thing. I thing you need to try something that works for you

1 Like

Le Col, MAAP, Rapha and Pactimo at least, had options normally close to $200 down at $100-130 or so in the Black Friday sales. So the extra cost for big brands/higher end, if purchased on sales, isn’t as bad as MSRP.

i’ve been a fan of some china direct bibs (similar to Black Bibs) and also my Volers and Pearl Izumi, but once they’re all worn out though, and I confirm my size/fit out of Le Col etc, then I’ll buy fewer pairs of shorts, and all black friday sale ones. I’d rather have 3 nice pair (at say $120 each) than 9 pair of Blackbibs.

1 Like

I bought 4 pairs of pearl izumi ‘interval’ bib shorts on sale for $115 (normally $150). I wouldn’t b too happy to pay $150 for these but they work pretty well. The chamois is pretty overkill but comfortable for 3hr+ rides.
I tried their ‘attack bib’ (one level down) and they were laughable. Returned and got intervals. That said, at least for PI (and prob same for other brands), don’t waste your money on entry level bc it’s poor quality and huge mark up for the brand name.

2 Likes

In a word… yes.

3 Likes

I had been wearing pearlizumi for 20 years. They were 7-8/10 for me. Sometimes they just hurt my inner thighs and perineum as they rode up my body. I rode endura for a few years and that was an eye opener. I did not know bibs could be so comfortable. Then on a whim there was a sale on assos so I splurged and bought a pair. They are worth it. At least for me they work. I primarily train inside on a kickr. As my body changed (I am 55) with middle age the assos worked really well. It does seem ridiculous at times to pay over $200 for a pair of bibs. I have several pairs of assos bibs and train 4-5 days a week. It’s been a year of use and they still appear and perform as new. My recommendation is as you wear a pair of bibs out is to replace with a brand you have been contemplating of purchasing.

3 Likes

Just received my MAAP team bib evo. While material used is without a doubt top notch, their chamois turned out the worst ones I’ve ever tried, to the point that I now have them for sale after just one ride.
My idea is that these “cool and trendy” companies know how to assemble and market stuff, but when it comes to “private parts” knowledge( bones, blood flow, muscles,tendons) they’re still lacking behind names like Assos or Castelli. Funnily enough, I can’t stand Castelli’s text and scorpion’s embossing but I automatically find myself buying their bibs all the times because they’re impeccable, set it and forget it, for my butt.

2 Likes

I have Velocio, Assos and Rapha bibs. Also some low end brands. I find the low end don’t last very long. No guarantees on the cheapest ones. I did have a pair of Raphas come apart. They sent a new pair saying the old ones were not fixable. Did not even want the old ones back. Made the higher price worth as much as the comfort in my opinion.

1 Like