Are 4 week training cycles suitable for the over 50s?

During sweet spot base I’ve been able to handle mid and high volume (a year with huge base before joining TR) with TR’s 5 weeks / 1 week recovery structure. However during build or doing my own vo2 max efforts (semi-structured) I’ve needed to go to 2 weeks / 1 week. My method is to focus on what my body is telling me, after 3 full training seasons that approach has worked fairly well.

Tried HRV upon waking up (chest strap and mobile app) for six months and at that time wasn’t able to find much value. Might try it again in the future.

2 Likes

for HRV monitoring I suggest some apps that work with mobile photocamera and work well.
Heart Rate Variability HRV Camera , free
HRV4Training, payment

1 Like

@Mikey, i use the Polar Flow software and the M460 head unit to track recovery. The M460 has an Orthostatic test and records HRV trends, but im struggling to understand the method Polar use to determine if you’re recovered or not which is available after you’ve done 3 tests within 28 days. I just back off a bit when not recovered.
I’m 63 and use the 4 week model and also look at the trend on individual weeks to see how long i’ve been working in the zones.

1 Like

I use Elite HRV with my HR strap. I upgraded within the app in order to use the Strava connection and see my workouts within the app. My morning reading is now set to 4 minutes for better accuracy so sitting still holding my finger steadily on the phone camera wouldn’t work as well. Much easier and relaxing to use the strap.

1 Like

@TonyLPowell thanks. Just downloaded the a App. Looks like it’ll irk with my Tickr strap. Let’s see how it goes! :+1:

1 Like

@Mikey I use Tickr as well. I tried the CorSense that Elite sells, but sent it back after only 2 weeks - just doesn’t work.