Anyone have the Neo 2T?

Well, the Neo 2T did NOT like the post mount disc brakes on my 2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata. No spacer could save me from the way the brake hose attaches to the caliper. I’ll see everyone in the “Does the 2018 Kickr work for anyone?” thread!

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Oh bummer man! I went through something like six Kickr 2018s before I gave up. Fortuitous, since I love the Neo. If I were you, I’d personally be heading toward the H3 rather than anything Wahoo makes. My whole experience with them has left a bad taste.

Neo 2…not the 2T

Just to pile on here, the NEO issue is not drivetrain related for the skeptics out there.

On a perfectly straight chain line, waxed chain and with ceramic BB bearings…I see the same behavior on the NEO to my vector3’s. It’s a significant difference in power readings and scales fairly linearly as power goes up. I.E.- power readings diverge.

Usually see 5% difference around 180-200watts and up to 15% above 380 watts or so. I’m going to have to have to start power matching my pedals so i can use them as a single source. Hasn’t been a factor this season as most of my training has been inside. I don’t think I’ll be going TACX again.

I don’t see the issue you are experiencing (my NEO 2T is spot on compared to my Assiona Duos), and several others also don’t. That doesn’t make us skeptics, please adhere to the forum guidelines (“Attack the idea, not the person”).

Dude. I wasn’t replying to you. And it was a general statement. Not an attack in any way.

Seems a little premature to just completely give up on a company. The Neo has always been one of the most trouble-free and accurate smart trainers there is. Maybe some hiccups with the 2T, but lightyears ahead of Wahoo. Have you tried contacting Garmin for a replacement and showing them the data? In my experience, Garmin support is very helpful and amendable to replacing defective hardware without much hassle.

2 Likes

You are surely right about Tacx. I’m being histrionic, while not accurate in my estimation it has been easy to live with. For sure.

I’ve calibrated their Garmins to a quarq riken. They are very close to one another. I’ve also done weight calibrations on both the quarq and pedals. They are good.

Any updates from users? Mainly wondering if the overly enthusiastic ERG mode has been tamed, and if the slip is truly fixed? I hear slip can still be induced if doing a hard sprint

I am not able to make it slip. :sweat_smile: The slip is caused by the laws of physics which cannot cannot be eliminated. From what I heard, it appears at much higher wattages now, since the 2T ist stronger than all the NEOs before. :muscle:

It is just very responsive in my opinion, which is excellent for example when doing 15s/15s. The hump at the beginning of an inteval was fixed a long time ago.

4 Likes

Agreed with Tofel. I haven’t made my 2T slip yet. I rarely made my Neo 2 slip though, since it’s relative to absolute wattage and how fast the power change was and at what cadence. It never slipped on a TR workout, only on Zwift rides. FTP is 290w @ 160lbs. though sprint power is not a strength of mine, so YMMV if you have strong anaerobic power.

I also really like a responsive trainer. I had an Elite Drivo II that was just horribly slow. Even 30/30s were difficult, let alone 15/15s. It was fine if all your intervals were longer, or you just did Zwift riding. I like to feel that “on” and “off” resistance though. Outdoor MTB is a lot like that.

4 Likes

Agree with the above posts, I have not had any slippage on the 2T within TR workouts. I’m a big sprinter and did not feel such when putting the pedals down hard. You’ll have to take this with a grain of salt as TR workouts and maybe Zwift or whatever app you’re using you’re always spinning at a moderate cadence before the interval.

1 Like

So I guess the slip is caused more by sudden burst of 1000w from a slower flywheel speed than lets say a 400w effort and then jumping out of the saddle and putting down 1200w?

My concern is not so much for TR workouts, I know it will handle those, but I don’t want slip if I’m going up Alpe or the Radio Tower on Zwift and decide to jump out of the saddle for a bit and crank out 500-600-700w in a burst.

I’ve used a KICKR 16 for 3 1/2 years and had zero problems. I’m passing it on to my wife and considering a NEO. No T’s available currently but I can get the 2. Should I wait for a 2 T?
Cheers all.

Got lucky. A 2T came into stock :smile:

2 Likes

I think it’s the better choice from the viewpoint of responsiveness, slip and linearity (Linearity Showdown: OG vs 2 vs 2T – Tacx Faqx) Congrats on your NEO!

1 Like

I got to demo a Neo2 at home and was initially impressed with Zwift performance, but not ERG. I thought it was just a 2T issue, but the Neo2 also had extremely abrupt transitions between intervals, especially doing something like vo2, it just felt like you immediately shifted 2-3 gears at a time, no ramp up at all. The wheel slip on the Neo2 was also pretty bad while seated, unacceptable while standing. I’ll give the 2T a try if I get a chance to, but until they really smooth out the ERG transitions I can’t recommend either for TR use.

The same thing I thought and had the 2t for a week or two.

I’d argue the responsiveness is a massive bonus for me. I’ve been on slow trainers and hated it. Short intervals on a slow trainer are stupid. By the time you get to desired power, the interval is almost over.

As for slipping a ton, I’d take a look at your pedaling technique. Try to smooth out your cadence, especially while standing. If you’re pushing squares, this isn’t surprising. Yes, you can get a 2 to slip (at least in Zwift with hill transitions), but unless you’re a massively powerful rider, this should not be an every ride occurrence, at least in my experience.

The 2 to 2T difference for me was extremely minor. Doing ERG workouts… no difference. You should never slip doing TR Erg workouts.

2 Likes