Anybody have Information about the Sea Otter MTB Course?

I know this may sound like a really dumb question but I don’t know where else to look for this information. I am assuming several of you have done the MTB cross country race at the Sea Otter classic. I was wondering how technical it is - in comparison to other races. I love riding on dirt but I don’t like too technical courses because I am just not good at it. (And, I am getting more scared of crashing as I am getting older.) I just did 24 hours in the Old Pueblo and that kind of course is perfect for me. I did try to watch some GoPro footage on YouTube but it’s hard to judge how steep uphill and especially downhill the trails are. Steep downhills scare me :slight_smile:

And, yes, I know the course is not going to be exactly the same but I am assuming it will be similar to prior years.

It’s not very technical which is one of the main reasons it was chosen as part of the Grand Prix.

1 Like

Fort Ord is not very technical. No huge drops or gap jumps or features where you have no choice but to send it. Tricky sections that cause trouble are more due to lack of traction and off camber. Depending on how they lay out the course this year, some features include a deep sandy descent and ~40mph fire road descents. Like with all racing, the common issue is not the course, but the fact that you’re racing which makes you push the envelope.

One difference is that since SoC went away from USAC, there seem to be far fewer MTB categories. XC has always been self selected even in USAC, but SoC XC has more of a Grand Fondo feel now.

Not too technical but there are two pits, one’s filled with alligators and the other one hot lava.

1 Like

Been doing it since 2013…not techical at all…alot of fireroad and pavement…a few steep dh sections but nothing too bad…dont go by the video of the pros…they use a totally different course.

1 Like

I can’t access YT from work, but I would link to his 2019 video.

1 Like

It is not technical at all.

Look for Ben Goyette’s video from 2019.

1 Like
1 Like