Any idea where this screw came from šŸ™ƒ *Solved*

As title really.

Has anyone got any idea at all where this screw might have come from?

I was doing some maintenance on my bike and this small screw fell to the floor as I turned my bike upside down. I cant for the life of me think where it could have come from.

I was removing my crank at the time but it doesnā€™t seem to be related to that.

Crankset: Rotor 3D30
Groupset: Shimano R8000
Frame: Ridley Noah SL

Any ides?

Bonus points if you can read my palm and tell me how iā€™m going to die - I would be especially interested if the answer was ā€œbike accident caused by riding without critical small screw installedā€

7 Likes

Seen a few bikes with internally routed cables, they have access hatches under the BB held in place with tiny screws.

1 Like

That was my first thought too - I looked at all the access hatches from the outside and couldnā€™t see anything - what just occurred to me now is that screw could have been rattling around in my frame for ages and just dropped out when my crank was removed. Iā€™m going to have to take my crank back off and see if there is anything meant to be holding the BB hatch in place from the inside :roll_eyes:

Of course anything dropped into the frame would end up at the BB anyway - maybe some drunk begian dropped it in there when they built my bike? It looks pristine.

1 Like

Computer mount? Derailleur hanger bolt?

1 Like

Garmin are fond of these torx headed screws :thinking:

Could it possibly be the bolt for your seatpost binder?

2 Likes

Itā€™s certainly not the bolt you actually torque up, itā€™s too small, but I canā€™t remember if the stopper design has any other screws that keep it together when itā€™s not fitted.

You will die on May 17, 2027.

It will occur when your wife crushes your skull with a Williams Sonoma marble rolling pin you received as a wedding gift from a cousin you barely know. Your wife will be crushing your skull because she will be on Meta reading about some other guy in some other country who allegedly spent years lying to his wife about ā€œgoing for group ridesā€, but was really just doing an inappropriate one on one ride with an overly friendly neighbor. Though youā€™ve done no such thing, sheā€™ll mistake the remnants of chammy cream on your bib shorts for another substance and go into a fit of uncontrollable rage. There will be great remorse afterwards and luckily, sheā€™ll find comfort and future happiness in the arms of one of your former riding buddies when they get drunk at the wake.

26 Likes

Lol, I was going to say a chain ring bolt until I saw the zoomed out picture and saw how tiny it was :rofl: I think I have seen small Torx head screws like that in electronic devices like computers or lights and I think Iā€™ve saw some tiny like that to retain the brake spring or something.

SRAM/Zipp also love those Torx bolts

1 Like

agree with HMG - I had some zipp aero bars and they all had torx bolts like that - even the small bits were torx

It might help to have a full picture of your bike, but this looks like it could be a seat clamp bolt. The non-threaded section looks like it slips through a bracket and has a bolt on the back side for adjusting tilt.

Everyone is a fail.

The correct answer is: you should never turn your bike upside down for repairs. Rule #49 innit.

Go to Jail, do not pass Go.

5 Likes

Surprised youā€™re the first to mention that :slightly_smiling_face:

Seat clamp similar to this:
https://glorycycles.com/ridley-noah-fast-seat-post-clamp-assembly/

Seatpost clamp is this one:
https://www.probikeshop.com/en/gb/ridley-seatpost-tightening-system-noah-noah-sl-noah-sl-disc-a-noah-disc-a/177653.html

The seat clamp is all held together with the one big bolt and explodes into loads of parts whenever you want to adjust the seat - donā€™t think itā€™s that.

The seatpost clamp Iā€™m not sure about - the bolt you torque up is obviously much bigger but Iā€™m wondering now if there is another small bolt involved somewhere :thinking:

1 Like

My SRAM brake calipers use Torx screwsā€¦

2 Likes

Best guess would be the brake centering adjustment bolt.

2 Likes

mimod, i do not want you ready my palm and telling me about my future. YIKES!!! Made me smile and i needed that big time.

Iā€™m glad news of my death amused you.

2 Likes

I was wanting to click on like but liking news of someones death didnā€™t seem right to me. Lol, I think we need emotive replies in addition to a simple like :joy:

Thatā€™s a solid guess and good analysis. I kept thinking that it looks like the screw for a derailleur jockey wheel, but the shank is too thin for that, the diameter would match that of the outer of the threads, and it would be pretty obvious if that went missing. A screw from a bar end plug wouldnā€™t be missed immediately.

1 Like