Anticipating being COVID positive & training?

yep, first time my wife got sick she slept in the bed with me the night before testing positive and she snuggled with our 5 year old that evening and morning and neither of us got it the whole time she was sick. the next time my son got it and the other three of us in the house tested positive the next day. It’s a wierd one.

Soo… can I do Zone 2/1 workouts with Covid or what? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I didn’t. But that doesn’t mean you can’t! :joy:

(the above advice does not constitute medical advice, unless it works)

My N+1 on this - I was only noticeably sick for two days after my oldest brought it home and as soon as I started to feel better I went out for a big ride. I then felt terrible for two weeks with no riding. Headaches and exhaustion - I was working from home and would just lay down on the couch for lunch. Was vaxxed and boosted which I think is part of why I felt better so quickly but even though it seemed mild it wasn’t just a cold for me.

I think if I had given myself a week off instead of trying to get back at it I would have ultimately had less time off.

1 Like

Whatever you feel like doing, do less than that in both duration and intensity, and probably nothing above z2 until you’re definitely at the tail end of it (either by symptoms or by waiting a few extra days).

I planned to keep doing easy rides, but pretty quickly I didn’t want to get on the bike at all so just focused on rest. If in doubt that’s always the better choice than taking a risk on your long term recovery.

There’s a good guide linked in the Well… I got COVID. Starting over thread.

I trusted those guidelines. Was off completely for two weeks with symptoms and positive tests, then had a recovery week scheduled so just kind of rode what I felt like and didn’t worry about either taking it easy or building back up. This is now coming to the end of my first loading week of the next block (week 4 since getting sick) and I’m very very nearly back to where I left off. Also lost about 1kg while I was ill so it’s hardly been a setback at all.

Better to be too cautious than too ambitious. Too many awful long covid stories out there!

3 Likes

Well, I ended up doing a “recommended” TrainNow endurance recovery ride of 45 mins. I made sure to keep my heart rate well within zone 1/2. Since I was feeling good and it felt really easy, I just kept increasing the “cool off” period until I unexpectedly ended up with 1h45mins.

One disclaimer I gotta say is that I’ve had all three vaccines against covid and this was my first time getting covid. So most likely it hit me with much less impact than it hit others… despite me being 40yrs old. I had no fever, and mainly had a flu with more tiredness in the first days.

One thing I’ve noticed though is that when I suddenly pushed the handlebars to get myself straight in the bike - to get on my phone - my heart rate would spike up exaggeratedly more than normal. You can see this in these odd spikes in the graph:

Other than that, you can see I did a pretty good job at keeping it between 130-150bpm :slight_smile:

I also had some headache after that, but I know we need to sleep more when recovering from covid, so I had already planned to sleep it over in the afternoon and that’s what I did. Gladly it all went away and I’m feeling pretty good :blush::+1:t2:

Will probably attempt to do some more 120-140bpm hours tomorrow. I really don’t want to loose so much progress as I did last August from a 4 week vacations time off. These watts are HARD to gain! :grimacing:

Thanks for all the feedback and help. I will definitely keep a close eye on any simptoms :pray:t2:

1 Like