Ant+ dongle for Mac (Catalina)

After reading about the TR meet up on Zwift - Successful test - TR Workout via Zwift meetup function

I am looking to get a Ant+ dongle for my iMac running Catalina. I looked on Amazon and they’re quite a few to choose from. Does anyone have an recommendations? How far with the signal travel? I see some come with an extension lead

I’m using a Garmin branded usb one with my MacBook, with a short dongle. Haven’t had any reception issue on a desk in front of the trainer.

1 Like

I also use the Garmin one that came with my vector pedals. Do use an extension cable.

1 Like

I have two like this style. I know @anon20047708 bought one so maybe he can give some feedback. I use an extension for one but not sure it is totally necessary in my situation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBJ8E38/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_D5lbEbS9T9TES?tag=trainerroad-20

2 Likes

I couldn’t find @ericallenboyd one on Amazon UK. This ones seems to have good reviews. To be honest I thought the Catalina end might be more of a problem than the dongle end.

[ANT+ Dongle](TAOPE ANT+ Dongle USB Stick Adapter Wireless Sync Dongle (RC402) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075T8HZ22/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_TIldEb9XM5RR3)

Good to hear and have fun in your trip.

Most work pretty well, but you’ll get the best performance if you also get an USB extension cable.

1 Like

The garmin one works as does this one. Both in Catalina

Definitely get the extender. I was getting dropouts until I did so. I didn’t care because I use the file from the Garmin 1030, but it was vexing to see my Zwift guy pull to side of the road while I was pushing pedals.

The extension cable allows you to place the dongle closer to your trainer/sensors and greatly reduces the occurrence of dropped signals.

2 Likes

That is good info. From all the replies it amazing it works outside on a real bike. :grinning:

Still on Mojave but these have been working fine for me.

Thanks for posting this thread… you must have read my mind!

Does anyone have any recommendations for an ANT+ dongle with a lightening connector (for an iPad)? I already have what I need for a PC…

Thanks!!

I’ve got an old Suunto (~4yrs), and it’s been fine on my MBP. The extender cable is mandatory for a reliable connection. The aluminum casing on the machine can block the signal if it’s between the transmitter & the dongle (always in my setup). I hang the dongle on the extender cable below the machine for a clear path to the transmitter. On the bike, the path from power meter to head unit is relatively clear, and is much closer so is more reliable.

1 Like

I just got a cheap generic one (actually, two, because reasons… they both get used though and both work) from Amazon, along with the extender. I plugged a hub into the end of the extender so I could put both of the ANT+ dongles in from one extension.

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro with the Garmin USB dongle and a 10 foot extension cable to place it directly under my Wahoo Kickr Core. No issues with dropouts. I use ANT+ for my Garmin HRM also.

Thank you for posting this one. Now all the ANT+ dongles seem finished all over the world with so many people training indoors during the Corona epidemy.

I’ve been using the cheapest ANT+ dongles I could find on eBay. Still going strong after 4 years.

Far less interference issues, compared to Bluetooth.

I recently upgraded to Catalina on my MacBook Pro from Mojave.

Since the upgrade I have had issues with BT and ANT+. I rode on Sunday and both signals completed disappeared. I had to unplug and replug in the extension cable for my Ant+ dongle to get it working again.

Has anyone else had this issue? I had no issues at all using ANT+ or BT when I was using Mojave.

I just deleted app.apple.finder.plist and the bluetooth.plist, hoping things will be ok for tomorrows ride.

Hi, I’ve Big Sur too and I can’t connect my smart trainer via ant+, its very strange because the system recognize my ant+ dongle (I can see it in system info), and in Zwift during the pairing I see the ant+ symbol is on, but can’t find the devices. If I do the same with my other win10 pc all works fine. Anyone have possible solutions?