Another Commuting question

Today my training plan called for baird +6, which is 60 minutes of V02 intervals, followed by 30 minutes of aerobic riding. With the weather improving, I am now able to ride my bike to work. I had a bit of time crunch, so I did the intervals, and then instead of riding 30 minutes aerobic on the trainer, I replaced that with my commute, which is almost exactly 30 minutes by bike. However, in between the intervals, there was about 30 minutes off the bike so I could get ready for work. I didn’t take in any calories in this window.

My question is, am I losing the benefit of the aerobic riding by taking this break in between, or am I just being efficient :slight_smile:?

3 Likes

I vote efficient :+1:

2 Likes

Hrmm. Related question I’ll ask here. How (if at all) detrimental are ‘junk miles’ to structured training? More specifically…I’m doing low volume build, but as its nicer I’m commuting also, and between that and long brewpub weekend rides I could easily add 8-10 hrs per week of riding at about 50% ftp on top of the low volume plan.

P.S. I vote efficient also. Heck, if for no other reason than its so much more efficient, convenient, and an enjoyable way to get the time in that you’ll adhere to the plan (even if modified…) far more consistently.

1 Like

My opinion is that riding at 50% of FTP would not be not junk miles. To me, junk miles occur when you are riding hard enough to create stress, but not hard enough to stimulate an adaptation. The long brewpub rides you speak of may fall into that category if you are trying to drop your buddies, or just going out and hammering with no focused intention for the ride. If they are truly long, slow, endurance rides, they will have a benefit.

If you are on the low volume plan, I don’t think adding an additional 8-10 aerobic hours can hurt, if they are truly aerobic hours.

Most amateur cyclists can benefit from more volume, if it is intentional. This is all my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

My concern with my situation is that I am losing the physiological benefit of the aerobic riding after my intervals by hopping off the bike for 30 minutes and then getting back on.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. Yea, I try to keep my extra miles low intensity. Sometimes I get carried away and sprint after a van to draft for a bit. But generally yea, if I’m not on a group ride, my outdoor rides are fairly tame and ‘fun.’ (when not racing…)

From what I’ve heard from Chad on the podcasts…I think you are still getting the vast majority of the benefit in your scenario from the 30 minutes after a break. You should still be very glycogen depleted since you’re not eating anything after the intervals, so I imagine you would get the majority of the afterinterval timing benefits of the endurance ride…fat adaptation, etc. Heck…it might be possible you would get MORE benefit from further depleting glycogen by spending another 30 minutes not taking in any carbs??

I think that sounds good. So long as you’re not snacking in between(as you said you don’t) it sounds like a great way to include your commute as part of your training to me.

1 Like