Am I overtrained?

Thank you!!

Thanks! My outside rides are not in TR, which is why the TSS appears to go down. It has actually stayed pretty consistent at about 450/wk.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks. I went pretty deep and decided to not take an easy week after, because I had vacation coming up and would rest then. But vacation (Hawaii) ended up being hiking and running every day so not much rest. I think you’re right about needing more than a few days. I just don’'t know what I’ll do with myself if I’m not riding my bike on the weekend. Thanks again!

Nothing wrong with biking a little. Just keep the intensity super low (like barely touch Z2) and the rides short. Maybe do a ride to coffee or ice cream with someone who is slower and a more casual rider than you (your wife, kids, etc.) to keep it fun and to have a different goal then to just push the pedals.

No, you are not overtrained, you are just carrying some larger fatigue. Not taking rest after a long and hard race was the first mistake. Donating blood will drop performance for sure. Heck, think about all the years of blood doping and cyclists putting more blood into their bodies for performance enhancement.

Some rest would be a good thing and I do not mean a TR recovery week. Those have a good amount of zone two riding in it. I’m more talking about a few days to a week off the bike if feeling really crummy and then a week or so of stupid easy riding. Adjust from there.

I posted a while back what real overtraining looked like in a thread. I’ll attach the link below but if you do not want to read an extended write-up, I can summarize a bit. Overtraining syndrome is something that takes you out of the game for years and takes a long time to develop. What you have described does not fit that definition.

My write up on overtraining

Make sure your power meter didn’t crap out and start reading low. Perhaps a battery swap is in order, just to be extra sure.

How are your Strava segment times compared to before?

The power meter is fine, but the strava segment is a good idea. I don’t use it much, but I’m gonna set it up, so I can diagnose these type things in the future. Thanks for the advice!

Thank you! That’s great advice and well thought out. Thanks again!

Thanks!

Summer heat?

1 Like

Definitely makes a difference!

1 Like

hi 742,

when i see a cyclist with a BP problem, i ask how is your diet? are you by any chance eating a high % of processed food? how is your fibre intake via fruit n veg? i’m reading a book (metabolical) which puts a lot of blame for such problems at the foot of diet (processed sugars).

most are not overtrained, but under-recovered, which sounds like this might be the case for you, since you’re on the feet allll day when working. That’s tough on the body! a 9.5h race is a BEAST (kudos on that), I would have taken 2-3 days to recover from that!

sounds like more rest is a good thing to experiment, it can’t make it worse! Then ease back into things.

1 Like

Good advice. Thank you!!

How do you distinct the two from each other?

really take a look at what the recovery week is. under-recovered athletes just don’t focus on recovery as training. they don’t sleep enough, don’t eat right when there aren’t workouts that follow, might only take two days off then start ripping again (too soon),

or, they simply never even take a rest week

true over training is hard to do, and rarely happens for anyone training less than 15h a week which is a lot.

4 Likes

I see, but what about objective biological markers?

This article is really interesting but I’m not sure how it all lines up.

Edit: link to this article by Asker Jeukendrup for reference.

i’m not saying you can’t be overtrained, just saying most are not as far down as shown in Asker’s article of Overtraining Syndrome, which is what “overtraining” is. That takes MONTHS to recover from, and truly recover from, it’s bad.

Most are overreaching then not recovering.

if u can get biological bloodmarkers and info that is wayyyy above my head, go for it. Or just rest regularly and you will most likely be fine; much easier.

1 Like

As a coach—and someone who has a ton of experience—I’m curious if you’ve ever found yourself or an athlete go into over-reach (too much training, not enough recover), take some time off the bike to rest, attempt to come back (when they think they are fresh) and still feel residual fatigue.

If so, what’s the protocol? More time off the bike? A week of Z1, maybe Z2 riding?

I ask because I can almost guarantee many amateurs who find themselves overly fatigued and try to rest probably cut it too short or sabotage their recovery week in some way to get back to training. Thus wasting time and actually not getting fully recovered.

1 Like