Alcohol Drinkers

In the UK even my student life (Netherlands) would be called average, haha.

1 Like

I used to drink a lot. Not touched anything for about 18 months now.

Itā€™s made no difference to my power output. Had helped my w/kg though via weight loss.

2 Likes

Generally once a week, generally 4 or 5 pints/ 500ml bottles. I tend to time this the evening of my weekend long spin, although that depends on how early I plan to be out.

I used to be able to do the night before when my group spins were triathlon club. I wasnā€™t really able for the beers + late night + early start once I focused more on the bike and joined a cycling club. I definitely notice a difference without them.

So I went from Friday and Sunday (3 pints), to now itā€™s generally one of Friday or Saturday depending on the spin and family plans. Dropping the Sunday wasnā€™t really 100% training, more Iā€™d be tired for work and a promotion, but I did see a training benefit from dropping them (better sleep I think, like work).

Although in my own case, I believe itā€™s all the crap I eat with the beers as much as the alcohol - thereā€™s normally crisps/ chips (delete as applicable to what side of the Atlantic youā€™re on!), and I do have a tendancy to binge a bit afterwards.

Luckily, Iā€™ve never really been a sit on my own/ watch TV and have drink type of person. Iā€™d be more likely to use the calories on crisps/ chips or popcorn or chocolate than one or two drinks. Not sure thatā€™s much more healthy though.

I used to drink far too much (A beer then 1/2 to 2/3 bottle of wine then maybe a whisky or 2 most nights). At the end of June I cut alcohol out virtually completely and the effect on my recovery from cycling, and my sleeping has been seismic. Iā€™m just back from a 3 week holiday in France when I started drinking alcohol again. My sleep and recovery metrics dropped through the floor. Iā€™m back off it now and everything is as it was during the 8 weeks alcohol free.
The game changer for me has been the development of non alcoholic beers. Previously they were awful. Now they can be a genuine alternative to normal alcoholic drinks. I never stopped drinking before for an extended period as I could not imagine a life drinking fizzy water with every meal. Now there is an alternative I can envisage life without alcohol with a meal and itā€™'s made it so much easier to stop.

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve noticed the low alcohol beers in the last few weeks, quite low calorie too!

Ive cut out weekday beers/scotch. Made a big difference. And I have a few costly scotches that i enjoy. The reason i say costly is because theyre the kind that you ā€œsipā€ on and therefore donā€™t drink as fast/as much as say, good olā€™ Grants ahahha.

That way not only do i save money on the long run but iā€™m drinking less. Win Win!

Ive now made an attempt to go non-alcoholic beers Through the week ā€¦ erdinger alcohol free is even isotonic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

iā€™ve gone through so much flavored sparking water since dropping alcohol consumption, itā€™s absurd. hits that fizzy water feel

2 Likes

Scotch/Whisky/Bourbon is great, one of my favorites, great with a cigar too (yea Iā€™m that cyclist LOL)

3 Likes

I tried that approach with red wine. Get a good quality one I thought, Iā€™ll drink it slower I thought, I wonā€™t therefore drink as much I thought, Iā€™ll save money in the long run I thought. Problem was I liked the better quality ones more than the cheapo stuff so drank more and it cost me more.

1 Like

Try the Brew Dog Punk Alcohol Free IPA. Virtually indistinguishable from the real Punk IPA. Or the Brew Dog Nanny State.

3 Likes

Yes. Iā€™ve tried it ā€¦ very good
Tonight Iā€™m having to put up with Becks Blue

Oh wine is a different beast. The more of it you get, the $hittier the wine you can ingest. So you can start with expensive bottles and end up with cheap ones ā€¦ itā€™s a slippery slope ahaha

Nanny State is really nice - sometimes Iā€™m tempted just on taste as itā€™s nicer than some Session IPAā€™s.

Not a lager drinker, but the Guinness one isnā€™t too bad. Better than Heineken 0 anyway.

The new explosion of american craft beer has made it a bit easier to cut back a bit, and make a slow switch to less calorie dense wine or whiskey/gin.

Just so much so-so craft american beer being made now. Normally I would say even the effort is a great thing to be applaudedā€¦but its squeezing out world reknowned european beers in bars and on store shelves. Things line Fullers ESBā€¦which used to be everywhere, are much harder to find now.

Thats pretty much my attitude/consumption as well.

Iā€™m 1, maybe 2 drinks a night, down from 2-3(or moreā€¦) Most nights. I try to drink ligher things like wine or a rye old fashioned with just a splash of simple syrup.

I actually enjoy healthierā€¦or at least ā€˜realā€™ food more than garbage, so diet has definitely been an easier get for me than cutting alcohol out.

Fullers were pushing the definition of ā€œcraftā€, even before they were taken over by a multinational. imho.

1 Like

The 2 most popular Non Alcoholic Beers in the pubs round appear to be Becks Blue and Heineken0. Both are little better that the Kaliber from back in the day.

Heineken is making inroads, but erdinger or paulaner the staples. Iā€™m not really a fan of wheat beers, but Iā€™d still take them over the lager options.

Depends on how you define ā€˜craftā€™ though, of course.

Does craft mean small? Local? Or just beer that reaches the upper bounds of delicious taste?

Iā€™d say after sampling a LOT of craft brews from the new boomā€¦many small craft brewers dont know their craft nearly as well as many of the more established, larger names. Fullers, Sam Smith, Chimay, etc.