Advice for weight loss

That’s massive. If you can do 370 W for 90 minutes, I think an FTP of 400 W (370 W = 92.5 % of 400 W) is much more plausible than 390 W (= 95 % of 390 W, i. e. threshold).

For a guy as “heavy” as you, these numbers would not be good, they are spectacular. To give you some perspective, world-class sprinter Marcel Kittel peaked at 4.9 W/kg in his career. Yes, he was more powerful, but he was also a few kg heavier than you are now.

On the flip side, aiming at 5 W/kg might be out of reach. But I think you are just setting yourself the wrong goal.

Are you nuts? I wouldn’t try to lose any weight if I were you. Whatever you are doing is clearly working for you! :smiley: Cutting weight could be very risky for your training. I’d continue what you are doing now and just race according to your strengths. I reckon few if anyone in the field can match you in terms of raw power. Even in terms of W/kg you’d like be at or near the top of the peloton. Plus, raw power helps offroards, because you need to overcome friction between tires and the road surface.

1 Like