🎉 Adaptive Training Live Q&A 🎉

Hadn’t seen that. Using an old tablet on the trainer & newer versions of the app don’t support it. So I do almost everything through the web interface.

Just have to remember to go in & fill out the surveys after.

All scenarios worth discussion. I’m particularly interested in finding what plans / timings exist where TR and AT will ingest and utilize data from outdoor rides (not just TR outdoor workouts) such as, alternate training (e.g team TT), group rides and — races (with power meter and HRM). Basically integrating data for all riding and racing scenarios that happen outside TR’s prescribed workouts would be make TR and AT more versatile.

1 Like

If you do a workout and (on a dumb trainer) do intervals at (say) 5% higher than target power but don’t change the intensity does AT take that into account? What about if say 10% higher power? Does that impact if, because of higher power, you rank it as say very hard rather than hard?

1 Like

I was just about to repeat many of the previous posts and ask about the workout perceived exertion rating, until I’ve read yours. Really clever I’m going o copy !

I’d also like to know how Jonathan used AT and the polarized plan together. At 45 years old the polarized plans worked a lot better for me last year. I saw great gains and didn’t feel wiped out constantly.

What are TR plans for group workouts combined with AT? (In the past it was suggested that group workouts will need to become more flexible since with AT workouts will be more different among users.)
Any changes to group workout scheduling for this winter season or all resources on AT?

1 Like

What are best practices for adding a B race to a plan in progress without disturbing AT and progression levels?

2 Likes

Interested in this as well. I often increase the intensity percentage by 10% and rate the session as hard upon completion, presumably if I were to do the same session at the ‘normal’ percentage intensity I’d most likely label it as being an easier session. I am curious as to which is the better approach when using AT?

4 Likes

Background:
Last week I completed “Boltinghouse VO2 Max 4.4” workout (indoor, ERG mode). Before starting the workout I increased the intensity to 110% and kept it at this level for the whole workout. I rated the effort 2/5 (moderate). To my surprise, my VO2 max progression level changed to 4.4. I expected it to be higher due to the extra 10% workout intensity.
Yesterday I completed “Rowdow -2 Sprint 6.8” outside workout. Sprint intervals were supposed to be performed at 200% FTP. I completed these intervals at 262-310% FTP (average 282%). I rated the effort 2/5 (moderate). Again my progression level changed to the workout’s “6.8” even though I managed to exceed the target power during the sprints by 40%.

Questions:

1. Shouldn’t progression levels be calculated according to the actual work performed rather than simply using the level of the workout?
  2. How should I have rated the effort for the second workout I described (Rowdow)? I can justify all five options - from “easy” to “all out”:
  • 1/5 easy: because I exceeded the target sprint power by 40% and target rest power by 75% (70% FTP instead of 40% between sprints). Furthermore, after those sprints I rode for 40 more minutes including 20 minutes at average 88% FTP and 30 seconds at 200%-220% FTP (short climb) without much effort (IF for the whole ride = 1.03). If I did the workout indoor in ERG mode at 100% intensity, it would’ve felt very easy.
  • 5/5 all out: because the sprints were “all out”.

If I want to start a recovery week early how do I do that?

2 Likes

It looks like the Progression Level is calculated solely from the PL of the workout you just did and the difficulty score you gave it. It doesn’t appear to take the actual workout intensity levely you performed at into account. This doesn’t seem like ML adaption to me but simply a scoring level from the 2 inputs.

3 Likes

Add an annotation and it’ll move everything out a week.

• Note that my info is not officially endorsed by TR. But I used info from them and refined it to what I feel is a decent, quick reference to help set your rating for workouts.

7 Likes

I tried this, but it kept the next week as a rest week, so now I have two back to back rest weeks. I want to delete this last week of the block and start the rest week early.

AFAIK, this is not really possible in the current form. Presuming you setup your plan with Plan Builder, and a target A-Event, TR seems to “lock” in the basic week structure. These annotations options appear to merely clear a given week at most, and leave the remainder of the plan in tact. It does not do the “shift” that most of us seem to want and expect.

1 Like

The current best thinking / understanding is that if you want to get “full credit” by AT for exceeding power in a workout, then prior to completing the workout you should use alternates to select a harder workout that aligns with what you intend to do.

It doesn’t currently appear that “super pass” (AT seeing that you exceeded the power targets and gives you credit for this) is “live” / working consistently.

Mmmmm that’s not exactly ML Adaptive. Here’s hoping that when AT goes live it works along with outside rides being analysed and counting.

1 Like

I hope I am not too late with my question for Tuesday’s session.

I race Time Trials in the UK, 25, 50, 100 and even 12 hour. I am probably racing every other week (B races) but still pretty hard efforts. I did 16 open events this year.
I tried to include the 100m TT (4hrs 13m with an IF of .79) in my AT by matching it and putting in a response of “All out”. Of course this sent my PL off teh scale (11 something). I tried to include a 25TT in my AT by matching it against a comparable existing workout. All that did (as I was at FTP for an hour) was through my PL to around 11, and change all subsequent workouts.

So, my question is in three parts:

1. I know you are planning to include external “unstructured” rides into AT. (I think many of mine are really purposeful, rather than unsructured, but that is a different debate.) Will you include races? If so, how? Especially TTs longer than 40km
  2. What will you do with someone like me who completes multiple pretty all out efforts every perhaps 3-4 weeks, and how will you include “Races” into the AT understanding of performance and training?
  3. I was pretty fatigued after my 12hr TT for 3-4 weeks (as you can imagine) However there is no options to say that the reason for failing a workout is “Race fatuigue” rather than training fatigue. Are you planning to include such a category. (PS 5 weeks after the 12 I PB’d by 11 minutes at a 100m TT.)

PS I am currently fudging AT by putting in a pretend A race around christmas to allow me to continue training., (But don’t tell anyone :slight_smile: )

Apart from this really loving the AT and PLs. Six stars.

I’d love to know this too, however my guess is not much will be said regarding when certain things will be released, as predicting completion dates for stuff like this can be difficult, and I understand that. I do think that giving some guidance as to what the priorities are for the next improvements would be welcome.

What I would really like to see, is a simple chart that shows what AT currently does, and also what it doesn’t do, especially when many features of what AT could/will do have been mentioned on the podcast. Since it’s going to be called ‘AT’ now, and (I expect) in 1, 2 and 3… years from now, understanding what it does now is important so everyone can have reasonable expectations.
Things like:

• outside rides
  • superpass
  • custom workout credit
  • extending workouts
  • unstructured rides
    have either been talked about or are reasonably expected to work, and these either don’t work at all, or have significant limitations.
    Expectations have been set very high for AT, and I think being clear on its current limitations will result in a happier user base. It’s not like explaining the limitations makes the product worse.
2 Likes

Any plans to get rid of or reduce the number of FTP tests with AT?