A Time Trialing Thread

Thank you for the comments.

I had to move the saddle to where it was anyway as further back was uncomfortable for me.
It looks like I could do with a little bit more reach, but this is something I will try to achieve with the new extensions + higher risers underneath the arm rests. There will be a lot more adjustment options compared to the current set.

I will definitely try the technique as I have a feeling that my shoulders are quite wide and are costing me a lot of time.

For the time being, I was able to ride comfortably in the position for 2hrs+ doing various efforts. I was satisfied with the power output too as I could hold 96% of the FTP (from a road bike position) for 25mins at the end of the two hour block.

2 Likes

Hey yā€™all
I seem to be in this never ending quest for a good saddle.
At the moment I am on an ISM PN4.0
So far its the best yet but I have never really been that comfortable. As far as ISMs go this is the best one. Iā€™ve tried the PN1.1 and PL1.1, and adamo. All of them start to get me sore at the leg attachment.

Iā€™ve tried going narrower like the JCOB type5/JOF 55 and made me numb in 15min because Iā€™m sitting right on my perenium. Same type of deal with the Selle Italia WATT

Iā€™ve been jumping back and forth witht he Spesh Sitero. Someitmes I like it and sometimes I hate it.

Any thoughts?

An issue I have had is putting pressure on my perineum rather than sit bones - this is a bike fit issue that no saddle will rectify. Also, are you ā€œtucking your tailboneā€ under? It activates glutes, but also helps alleviate pressure on perineum

I try to when it starts getting uncomfortable, but Iā€™ve also been told I need to rotate my pelvis more like in this article

• sigh *
    Iā€™ve been fitted serveral times and canā€™t seem to get sorted

Used to have a similar problem mate. Also found that those ISM were the better option but still not great. I found that improving flexibility/ROM in my hamstrings and a change in saddle to the Bontrager Hill Comp did the trick for me. But as always with saddles, it is highly personal.

looks very similar to a bi saddle

After some tinkering with the new position (and joining the dark side of the force), I have come up with this. I will take this to the track in two weeks from now and have high hopes. It ā€žtestsā€œ a few watts faster for me outdoors. Really interested in what the track says.

10 Likes

There is not much I wonā€™t do in the name of more speedā€¦but that POC helmet is one of them. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

I hear you.
Took some getting used to for me, too.
However, I have finally found a helmet, that does the following:

• touch the the top of my back in a comfortable position
  • shelter my shoulder from the wind (better than the Drone, at least from the pictures I have taken)
  • reduce air pressure at the front of the helmet (large vents at just the right spot)
  • look like I am an an aero-expert (or a mad man)

Big difference between Track and TT on Road is seeing where you are going. On the track you can afford a lower head position looking down because there is the red line and no cars or holes in the track.

On the Road you need a ā€œHeads upā€ position to see where you are going AND to avoid being DQā€™d!!!

I have come to the conclusion that staying alive is everythingā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Staying alive is one of my top priorities in many things.
As you might be able to see on my picture, I can look over may hands pretty well. The position is rather not that aggressive for me.

1 Like

Also, the Poc Tempor, against the rumors works better, with a relatively high front:

I would argue that the helmet looks better on Biggles and Alex compared to me, and if you look how high their knees go on the upstroke compared to their elbows, the two run a rather high front and a rather crouched position. The helmet works great with that.
And we know it works great because both are very successful and have extensive access to track and wind tunnels.

But wonā€™t you get bored of having to tell people why you wear an even more ridiculous helmet than normal testers every time they see a picture on social media? :wink: :rofl::joy:

I am posting daily on two different cycling forums. Justifying my decisions in front of others is kind of my hobby now :rofl:

4 Likes

Is the brake disc behind the carbon on that tri spoke?

The Tri-Spoke is the Relvover Troika TMD (which is the prototype version of the Troika Max). The mini disc around the hub is made to direct airflow around the disc rotor. Donā€˜t know how well it does that, but I will give it a shot a few weeks from now.

1 Like

Is the dip between the top of your helmet and the high point on you back slowing you down? Itā€™s ā€œstraight acrossā€ on the other two guys so Iā€™m wondering

Joe

That looks very good!

1 Like

It may well be, but I canā€™t say for certain until track and tunnel testing.
In CdA, there are two factors and there is always a trade off from a certain point.
To close the gap and make it straight, I need to come up higher at the front. That may well decrease my coefficient of drag, yet will also likely increase my frontal area (A).
It is always this game you play with the position.

Also:
This chap has a similar gapā€¦ donā€™t know if for better or for worseā€¦

2 Likes

Bought my first TT bike last year after a few years of competing on a road bike.

Tubs: what should I be getting? Usually Iā€™ve bought veloflex masters with latex tubes but Iā€™ve got a set of second hand carbon tubular wheels which look like they need new tyres, a bit lost at sea here!