$5-$8K budget - what would you buy?

stock bike? aero? mountain goat? buy all the components your self? lets here it!!

For 6500$ (CAD) i just pulled the trigger on a custom made steel Marinoni: chorus 12 rim brake groupset, Shamal mille wheelset, Deda superleggero carbon seat post, stem and handlebars, c’Columbus futura fork. Sub 17 pounds expected weight, with pedals and bottle cages.

2 Likes

love the old school aesthetic. perhaps I have drank the cool aide but I have my eye on building up a Time scylon, but the frame alone almost breaks the bank

2 Likes

Time would be on my short list with that budget as well. Currently have a BMC Teammachine which I would also recommend as a consideration.

Love it.

Although i would take a 5-8K bike over whatever car you can get for that price

3 Likes

Curious, what Groupset on the BMC Teammachine?

I used to buy top of the line but I just can bring my brain in line with top of the line prices these days. I mean, a $7000 frameset or $5000 groupset just seem like a rip-off.

I’m looking at a mid level all around aeroish bike for my next one. My short list is:

Trek Emonda SL ($6k all in with Di2 12 speed and carbon rims)

Specialized SL7 Comp ($5.5k plus I’d buy another wheelset, so figure $6.5k)

Or buy that SL7 frameset and build it with Campagnolo for a more unique Tarmac.

5 Likes

Canyon endurace cf sl 8 Aero $6099. Spend the extra on a PM and extra wheelset

5 Likes

I’ve been tempted recently to still go with two wheels but with a motor.

Or this…
royal-enfield-continental-gt-650-standard--bs-vi20200212182221

4 Likes

50% of a S-works Epic Evo.

1 Like

CAAD 13. Throw in power meter pedals, a new Garmin 530, Winspace hyper 65 wheels, a new saddle, and I’m at $6k easy. And a carbon aero bar. And some groovy aero socks. And I need a jersey and some new shorts….so all in $7k?

Or! A Cannondale CX bike with all the above extras. Also probably close to $7k.

A cycling trip to Spain.

14 Likes

Ultegra Di2 on the Teammachine. Second tier groupsets are the sweet spot for me. Just built up another bike with Sram Force AXS.

In Canada a Time Scylon costs around 6k just for the frame. :sweat_smile:

For $8k you can get two halfway decent bikes - road and gravel, probably both with Rival AXS electronic shifting.

2 Likes

I am in that same situation. My demands were Di2, integrated cables, disc brakes, nice looking and available. I then came across this:

A Ridley Noah Fast, that was checking all the boxes and that I will pick up next week.

13 Likes

Go titanium! A bike you’ll keep forever and never regret. I have a T-Lab X3. Beautiful bike that I can take bikepacking, gravel racing, or smash KOMs in road.

3 Likes

Here’s what I’d get:
Santa Cruz Blur XC C S with upgrade AXS & reserve wheels.

3 Likes

What do you want out of the bike? What kind of routes do you want to ride? Do you want a flexible bike or a scalpel that is really great at only one thing? And what is the terrain like that you ride?

The question is literally what you would buy. So it is not about the wishes of the OP.

3 Likes