3D Printed helmet

Just to let people know of this company I just heard about. I don’t have any crash data though. A customised helmet sounds a great idea.

From looking at their data one thing I’m convinced…if you don’t want to buy their helmet you should definitely get some sort of helmet with MIPS. :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow, as someone who feels like a medium is slightly too tight and a larger is way too big, I’d love to have a custom helmet… as long as it’s not unreasonably priced.

1 Like

Thanks for that graph @brennus I was trying to tell @Nate_Pearson about this and he wanted to know the crash data.

Where did you get it from please?

1 Like

I’d like to see their helmets tested by another party.

The list of them vs Virginia tech is really different (different helmets, some that are high on HEXR are not as high on Virginia Tech’s website).

I do agree that all tests seem to score MIPs higher than non-mips.

I don’t want to be an early adopter on 3D printed helmets :smiley:. For me to do that I’d need overwhelming evidence that they are better. IE if we could get Virginia, Oregon (who did wave cell) and this British study to all say it’s better.

I’m not super familiar with HEXR, but what if they put MIPS inside of their honeycomb design? Could that make it even better?

4 Likes

Oh I totally agree about not wanting to be a first adopter, me neither :slight_smile:

I would have certainly wanted the test procedure to be standardised, I don’t understand how different helmets get different ratings.

On the podcast he did mention that MIPS was good, and that his system was better.

I don’t know enough either. I think the nature of the way 3D printing works is that they can make it take any internal structure, thinner in some places and stronger in others. And that’s handlebars, frames and helmets.

And this certainly isn’t posted with any particular knowledge from me.

Just that I listened to this podcast one day and the next day Nate was talking about helmet design.

Serendipity? But I thought I ought to at least let @Nate_Pearson know.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

i ordered one about 4 weeks ago, and i got an email today saying it’s in the post.

I have a 64cm head, so not many helmets fit me. I’ll report back on quality and fit soon.

2 Likes

@Pipipi don’t disagree but just another perspective on this…back in the day I was racing and some sort of crash happened during which my helmet was destroyed. Some time after the fact I posted a video of the mangled remains of the helmet, some data, and some evidence of my injuries. A safety engineer at the company saw the video and contacted me to get the helmet.

Had a couple of conversations with the engineer and could conclude two things:

1.) They are passionate about customer safety at that company. Or at least this person was. Helmets weren’t just a business proposition to this engineer. Heck. I would say helmets weren’t even a business proposition to this person.

2.) There was some frustration that the business realities of selling helmets were keeping them from being as safe as they could be. This person told me in no uncertain terms that I could not buy the safest bike helmet because it was too risky from a business perspective to try selling the safest bike helmet. Nobody wants to be the early adopter. That was a real, tangible frustration with this engineer.

That doesn’t reflect on anything said in this thread good or bad…just an interesting point of view that I hadn’t considered before. On the other hand, my brains were so scrambled after that incident all memories could be suspect. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s more like “unproven” helmet.

If I was running that custom company I would get every major independent lab to test it. That’s your most important part of your marketing budget

I mean, how much would it cost to have virgina tech test it? Send them some helmets then pay for some labor? I couldn’t see it being over 10k.

Then do the same for the lab that tested wave cell.

If they all say it’s better, then I’d say it starts to move into the “proven” category and risk is reduced.

1 Like

There’s a good piece on this in the latest service course podcast, covers some of the safety testing they’ve had done too.

2 Likes

Helmet received a couple of days ago. It fits incredibly well and feels very light on head!
I’ve got both a black and white shell, so can swap and change when i like.

4 Likes

What’s the ventilation like?

Does it have any European or American certification standard?

Looks great!

CE EN-1078.

There is a website for this, hexr.com

3 Likes

Hopefully the price can come down with scale of production. At £300 any minor knocks that would mean a £100 helmet got replaced, I’d keep it that bit longer.

Brilliant tech and IMHO it’s a really nice looking helmet but a shade (well lot more than that) too expensive. Aparently I have Dura Ace tastes on a 105 budget.

3 Likes