39-49 Years old and 4+ W/KG - how hard is it to get there and maintain at that age?

I will be 52 and I should be back over 4W/KG in the next 4 to 6 weeks. As I am still in the SSMV phase. I think it basically up to genetics and I remember reading that only a a small percentage of people will ever be able to go over 4W/KG

:slight_smile:

Iā€™m 52 and got there in February, after fluctuating between 3.2-3.6 for a number of years. The big difference was deciding to change my diet and cut alcohol for six months - I dropped 12kg in weight, but it also meant I could sustain a MV programme pretty religiously as my recovery was better than it had been for years, meaning I gained 40w at the same time.

Maintaining it will be the challenge now - I donā€™t want to drop any more weight and power gains are starting to feel hard to come by, so preserving my levels this year will feel like a result.

3 Likes

45 yrs old and Iā€™ve been hovering around 4w/kg for a while but during lockdown Iā€™ve been able to experiment and see what sort of stimulus works and what doesnā€™t.
Basically the MV plans work but theyā€™re not sustainable. I end up over training, and have to take some time away from the bike. I also learned that ramp tests over-estimate my FTP by at least 10w.
Iā€™m more attuned to what my body needs in terms of recovery and Iā€™ve found Iā€™ve been able to obtain the same adaptations as I would have with MV but with far less intensity.
My diet has been vegan for the past 14 months. I drink very little. My weight has gradually decreased from 75kg to around 71.5kg today and that puts me at 4.33w/kg. I think itā€™s possible to get close to 4.5w/kg within a month or two.

Key points:

• Sleep at least 8 hrs. Itā€™s much harder to be motivated to training if Iā€™m feeling tired.
  • 5-6hrs sweetspot training per week works really for me.
  • Healthy and varied diet.
  • 20-30km running each week has very little impact on my cycling.
  • Some moderate strength training each week.
2 Likes

Hah, I forgot about this! Almost there, 280 FTP and 72kg.

2 Likes

42, and I hover around 3.8 to a PR of 4.4 last season, I default to 4.0 if I ride with some regularity (6 hr/wk). To push past that I need some pretty focused riding and increased volumeā€¦ I saw 4.4 last summer after a block of VO2 max and 10min or less virtual gravel hill climb TTs series (those turned out to be great fun and a great training stimulus for me). I went into that block pretty fatigued from 4 months of a MV plan, so taking a different approach this year and maybe that allows for a new w/Kg PR. My PR w/Kg faded really quickly back to 4.0 after a couple of months of just riding, go figure - but was able to maintain 4.0 for the remainder of the season with plenty of just fun riding.

But, if youā€™re sub 4, youā€™ll want 4 and if youā€™re 4 youā€™ll want 5.0 etcā€¦ donā€™t let the be the only metric that matters because thereā€™s literally always someone with a better w/Kg

4 Likes

Well done!

Closer than me. Age 45 3.25w/kg, but peaked at 3.74 last year in August.

2 Likes

I must be doing something wrong. Iā€™m 43, been on TR since July/2020 doing LV plans but doing a fair amount of outside rides to complement it. TSS varies between 400-600 sometimes more. I finish all my workouts as prescribed. Canā€™t get past 2.9 w/kg. Tried to eat a bit more to see if Iā€™d improve my raw FTP, but ended up only gaining weight :(. Maybe it is genetics.

Iā€™m not at 3 yet :sob::slightly_frowning_face:

Iā€™m in a similar position at 42 although Iā€™m top end of the BMI scale and it takes a lot of hard work to stay there (bowel cancer a few years ago and my gut does not tolerate too much fruit/veg nor much in the way of energy on the bike). Trying to supplement a LV plan this time with a bit more longer endurance at the weekends outside - to be honest, I struggle also with spending more than 90 minutes on the bike indoors. Iā€™m blaming it also on being 193cm tall so Iā€™ll never be that fast up the hills :slight_smile:

When people talk about reaching 4 w/kg, what duration/testing method is everyone using? I know my ramp test FTP and my hour power are over 30w difference.

49, I think the hard part is getting the weight down. If your bodyfat isnā€™t in the single digits, youā€™re not trying hard enough. At 12% right now, Iā€™m around 4.3 and when I get down to 7-8% that should be around 4.7 or so.

I wouldnā€™t worry about it - whichever is higher. There is too much variation in environments, equipment and testing protocols for it ever to be truly comparable between riders.:+1:

1 Like

My personal experience - Iā€™ll be 42 in June. Started cycling around 37 and structured training around 39. Iā€™ve built up to mid volume plans and do those plans pretty consistently. Iā€™m currently 65 kg with an FTP of 275 so about 4.2 W/kg and climbing. Iā€™m still getting 10-15 W increases year to year but I expect that to plateau any moment. Iā€™m hopeful that I can get to 5 W/kg though.

Weight was also a big helper. I went from low 170ā€™s lbs down to 142-145 through good diet and mid volume workloads.

As many others have said, itā€™s all about your genetics and your workload. Everyone is different. W/Kg is just one aspect of being a fit/fast rider and as I get older, focusing on those other aspects - skills, tactics, etc - is becoming more and more important.

To your questions though - Iā€™d assume maintaining is easier than getting there. But by being smart with nutrition, recovery, etc. I hope to stay in the mid to high 4ā€™s for years to comeā€¦ Assuming I get there.

2 Likes

This is key. Wonder how many self proclaim 4w/kg can hold their FTP for only 25 min :joy:

1 Like

I came in here hoping to obtain commonalities from those who have conquered this feat, but reading these posts makes it seem trivial :joy:

Itā€™s not. Just look at that bell curve (Great post by the way, @AJS914 ).

FWIW, Iā€™m 38 and 3.7 ish. Been trying to hit 4 w/kg for 6 years :grimacing:

I am going to get a few replies telling me otherwise, but I personally think that you need to be able to hold the power for 40 mins for it to be your FTP.

1 Like

40 minutes seems fair. Regardless of what ftp test you use to set training zones, if you canā€™t hold that for around 40 minutes then you might want to make some adjustments

1 Like

I know this may not be why youā€™re asking this question, but just in case you are and for other cyclists reading this thread (including me), remember that comparison is the thief of joy.

if I recall correctly, men at this age pushing 4 w/kg are at the top 5% of cyclists on TR, itā€™s not doable for most cyclists out there and Iā€™m guessing this is pushing the genetic potential for most people.

I know I will NEVER hit 4 w/kg. I have to keep telling myself that because otherwise, I find myself comparing my performance to others. I keep asking myself whatā€™s holding me back, why canā€™t I perform like they do? For one, Iā€™m built like a tank and weigh 93kg even after eating clean for a year and cutting calories to the point of losing performance; I cannot lose more weight. I also spent my youth in martial arts and strength sports, I did very little in the way of endurance sports; I just picked up cycling at 40 years old. Lastly, I just donā€™t have an athletic pedigree.

I know people will say ā€œyouā€™re just limiting yourselfā€ or ā€œyouā€™re telling people to give upā€. But I say that you need to know your limits so you can enjoy yourself. I salute all those who have achieved the 4+ w/kg at 40+ years of age, itā€™s a massive achievement and youā€™re all at the pointy-end of cycling. I will enjoy pushing myself to my limit and be the heaviest rider in the group by 15kg :laughing: .

12 Likes

To add further context, Iā€™ve been riding and racing for 16 years now. Only the last 2-3 seasons have I had enough data to actually know what my approx. w/Kg. Also remember these values weā€™re all throwing out are just that, approximations. I have no doubt I started as a sub 3 rider. good thing I like bikes because my fitness is a product of consistent riding for 1.5 decades, it has almost nothing to do with ā€œtalentā€