Here’s the recipe;

500g maltodextrin
120g MCT powder
100g fructose
5g salt
450ml water

In the video they mix this in some kind of fancy food processor

1 Like

So I make that 2400 calories of carbs, and the MCT (fats) is 1000 calories. Total of 3400?

why you need MCT (fats) during the ride?

Yeah…what? Why would you possibly want to take down 1100cal of fat. And I’ve never seen anyone use a 5:1 ratio of glucose to fructose before

Because it’s not just fat, it’s MCTs which behave differently in the body.

2 Likes

This idea seems very close to this idea… https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/dangerous-dry-scooping-workout-trend/63919

:rofl:

2 Likes

Interesting takeaways from the article you sited:

Hmm yeah based on that article this article was what stood out to me:

"First we observed that MCT added to CHO drinks did not inhibit gastric emptying. Then, in a subsequent we studied the oxidation rates of orally ingested MCT were investigated we concluded that more MCT is oxidized better when ingested in combination with CHO compared with ingestion of MCT only. Data confirmed the hypothesis that oral MCT might serve as an energy source in addition to glucose during exercise. However, in these and other studies we found that the maximal amount of oral MCT that could be tolerated in the gastrointestinal tract is small (for most athletes about 30 g). If you can only ingest 30 grams of MCT this limits the contribution of oral MCT to total energy expenditure to values between 3 and 7%. We did not see changes in fat burning and we did not observe any glycogen sparing. When we measured performance with or without MCT, there were no differences, even when we provided up to 80 grams of MCT. "

So while it says that it doesn’t slow or prevent carb absorption or usage it also says it doesn’t improve exercise performance. Also, that many people saw limits of 30g of intake (though it doesn’t note if that’s /hr or /dose etc.). So it sounds like 120g might be a bit rough on most people especially if they are doing enough exercise to require a 3500kcal drink.

I mean I’ve made my own 2400cal CHO bottles before for long trainer rides along with ice water to chase it down.

1 Like

But wouldn’t that be 120g spread over many hours?

I’ve heard more than once ex-RAAM rider say that the secret fuel they use is olive oil. They get to the point that it’s hard to eat anything. They can get a lot of calories out of oil by just sipping a little at a time. Honestly, I don’t know what quantity or frequency they were talking about.

Anecdotally, I had some friends do the Tour Divide race. Half way through they were having skin issues. They needed to eat more fat. It turns out that eating almost 100% carbohydrates day in and day out is not good for you!

3 Likes

Interesting

What are your ingredients?

adjust accordingly to your glu:fru ratio. I do 2:1 and 1:1 sometimes

my recipe involves 400mg of sodium per 100cal. I don’t bother to adjust for weather. Haven’t needed to yet.

So I use Table sugar for a 1:1 ratio
Maltodextrin for the extra 2:1 ratio
Sodium Citrate for sodium 1tsp = 1000mg sodium
Citric Acid for taste (very needed at these concentrations)

So for 2400cal
400g to table sugar
200g of Malta
2.5tsp of sodium citrate
add to boiling water. Start with less than you think. Dont want to end up with more liquid than will fit in bottle.
Then add citric acid until you like the taste. Can find this in the canning aisle.

This stuff is the consistency of gel…yknow as I type this I realize I’ve never gone over 1500cal

1 Like

Yeah I imagine it would be but even on days that I ride for 6+ hours I probably don’t eat more than 200g of fat. So I’m not sure putting 60% of that while on the bike makes sense to me.

Sure, for races like that I could understand it. But that’s an exceedingly small number of people that that applies to.

I like this idea of a single-bottle feuling strategy. Maybe that is too much fat, though.

Maybe just halve the MCT powder? Replace with something else?

Anyone have different recipe ideas?

I’m looking at this for events in the 8h to 80h duration range. So studies that say the maximum intake over 3h was 30g don’t necessarily mean I can’t benefit. I’m supposed to be riding a 200km event in about 4 weeks but may not be able to go. That would have been an opportunity to experiment. I’d expect to burn 5000 calories so getting 3500 of them from a single bottle sounds like it could be something to try.

For 80h duration it doesn’t work as I can’t obtain the ingredients mid ride. Last time I did that I carried loads of Maurten gels which worked well though after about 70h my stomach did start to complain. :rofl:

1 Like

In the video they said this was an “8h” bottle. Things change at those durations -

1 Like

re watched; he uses a 750ml bottle

If anybody manages to dissolve these quantities, even with warming, please let us know. This is not easy :smiley:

90g of maltodextrin dissolved in 200mL is ridiculous feeling from my point of view. You end up with a glass full of sugar before adding the water :thinking:

I just copied the recipe that appeared on-screen. I suppose that 450ml might be the amount you would start with, then add as needed to fill the bottle?

I can pretty easily get a 375g 1.5:1 malto:fructose bottle made up. Two of those and my Ironman nutrition is set. The key is to basically mix it with boiling water the night before and let it sit. The malto needs to be exposed to water for a while before the clumps get absorbed. Experimentation is key.

1 Like