2022 Specialized Crux info?

Looks like Trek and Specialized went different ways with their new CX lineup. Specialized it seems is leaning towards gravel racing, with an extra bottle and massive tire clearance. Whereas Trek went full CX race machine, keeping the tire clearance and hiding the cables.

3 Likes

I’ve got the geo chart here. BB drop increases from 69 to 72mm on size 56. Longer wheelbase, HTA and STA unchanged.

I have a boone, and the big sticking point for me is rear tire clearance. My 2020 will only officially accept a 33mm tire. I’ve got wide rims (23mm internal) and a 33 sits at about 35 or 36mm on them, and that will just barely fit in my frame. I’ve been riding the Boone as a gravel bike all summer (with a 40 in the front) and would really have appreciated a wider tire on some of my rides.

I love the idea of swapping my boone for a crux to use for both CX and gravel (especially since I could equip the crux with a dropper which I can’t do on the boone), but I worry that by trying to be two things the crux is going to end up being crappy at both. Not quite CX-y enough and not quite gravel-y enough, you know what I mean?

5 Likes

Pretty good BB drop….I would definitely have considered that when I was looking for a new gravel bike this summer.

I’ve been using my Crux as a gravel bike and love it, how much of a difference does a 3mm drop in bb make and how does it affect how it feels?

3mm won’t be as significant as when I went to my Aspero (almost a full CM lower), but a lower BB leads to a lower center of gravity, which increases stability. For me, increased stability leads to faster cornering, etc. because I am not worried about the bike getting squirrely on me.

On my Crux, the extra height was also very noticeable to me just riding….I felt very tall, especially compared to my road bike.

The downside is that it can cause more pedal strikes if you ride in technical areas.

2 Likes

Seems like a big miss for Specialized, given that the Boone, Aspero, and Addict (and likely others) have integrated cables.

Really interesting that cyclocross isn’t mentioned once in this description.

2 Likes

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that Specialized doesn’t have a huge presence in pro CX, at least in Europe. Trek and Ridley dominate, with Canyon represented by MvdP. Then other smaller brands like Stevens, and Cervelo because of Van Aert. And now Pidcock left, Specialized doesn’t have a huge representation apart from maybe Maghalie Rochette and a few others. Gravel is still booming here in the states so I wonder if Specialized is trying to market more towards that.

Definitely looks like specialized is chasing the current trend, to me at least. Disappointing.

I’m not currently shopping for new CX race bikes (thankfully), but it won’t be another Crux if I find myself shopping.

2 Likes

Anyone got a picture?

1 Like

I’m not surprised that they don’t really mention CX, I guess…the market size is infinitely smaller than gravel, so they make it “good enough” but not “optimized” for CX and accept that they may lose a few hardcore CX customers but gain more gravel.

I may be in the minority, but I imagine a significant number of buyers don’t want this. I’m going for the regular Aspero GRX Di2 instead of the Aspero 5 specifically to avoid an integrated cockpit. Good call for Specialized IMO.

I could definitely see this. As a dedicated CX race bike, this misses the mark, and if I had money to spend on two bikes, I would definitely go for the Boone or Inflite as my go to CX racer. But I can see a lot of people, even those that race CX, wanting a single bike. So I think the CruX would fit that bill. It works for CX for the 5-10 races a year, and let’s you throw on bigger tires for gravel riding/racing the rest of the year. That’s the one big complaint I have of my current Boone is tire size limitation. I ride it for a few months during cross season and then it sits in the garage. It would be nice to be able to take it out more. I have no doubt these are going to sell out.

1 Like

The Trek website indicates a maximum of 33mm tire for the 2022 Boone.

A huge thank you for everyone who has posted info, it’s a big help and really has me excited for the October launch.

Count me in the group that wants a single bike for everything. My perfect ride includes both road and gravel segments and this bike, especially with some Pathfinder Pros on it can handle it all.

I love the aesthetic of the Aethos and test rode it but it’s limited for gravel with a 32mm
clearance.

I got my eyes on the Expert build with the wild paint scheme. Might as well get the party paint scheme to get funky on my rides.

That really sucks! Non-UCI racers can run 35mm tires. Not smart from a marketing standpoint Trek. I guess they don’t want to sell a lot of bikes.

1 Like

There are regulatory statutes re: how much wide a tire you can run. IIRC, you have to have a minimum 2mm clearance on each side. So you can almost certainly run 35’s (or more) on the Boone, Trek just can’t say you can.

EN14781 specifies 4mm clearance between tire and frame.

3 Likes

I seem to always find CX bikes better all road bikes (50/50 pavement gravel) than gravel bikes because of the more aggressive geometry. Always enjoy riding the Giant TCX, Trek Crockett, Specialized Crux. Currently on the Crux 2021 base model (only model available in Australia) as my all round bike and loving it. Looking forward to pictures on 2022 models.

4 Likes

The podium on that Ian Boswell race hade both the new crux, and the “old” which is a “pure” race cyclocross. Thats gravel racing… Sell new bikes. Earn cash… Do it again next year. Big sale figures are more important than anything with the big SPrice tag is hefty so Ill buy another bike.

1 Like