2022 Ironman World Championship Race - St. George Thread

Kristian is losing time to leaders. Wurf is pulling a big group; he is in beast mode.

I think Blu is just waiting for the Wurf group, hopefully he jumps on ok

I’m most surprised by Cam pushing it so early, I expected him to let someone like Sebi or Lionel to pull the first half then drop them on the climbs in the second half

Yeah, I’m not sure about Blum. Think Lionel is probably wise not to chase the Wurf group. Going to be some blowups on the run I think :popcorn:

Kat Matthews and Skye Moench are looking good. Both super consistent but it could be anyone’s game.

1 Like

True, but with all the down talk on Ryf it’s looking pretty ominous with her taking 1st position…

Dreitz has crashed

Ryf is firing…45 sec into Matthews no less. Also at risk of ridicule I kind of like that Felt :shushing_face:

Hopefully Dreitz is okay and there’s no more casualties. Happy to see Sam Long racing well after that accident! And I sort of forgot about Braden Currie but not surprised to see him up there.

26mph is 38 feet per second.

Draft zone in tri is 10 meters, or 32 feet. Less than a second at 26mph.

So really a 1 second gap is legal. 3 seconds at those speeds would be 114 feet and it’d be silly to leave a gap that big.

1 Like

Yeah, just did the maths myself. Can’t remember where I got the 3s count from. :man_shrugging:

I like how the commentary insight is centered on whether someone stands on a climb or not.

Omg…he stood, he must be struggling to much! :roll_eyes:

Then Cam Wurf comes flying by standing on the entire thing. Dude must be hurting. Ha

Yeah, it’s a nonsense comment really particularly on a steep climb. A few seconds out of aero when climbing is probably beneficial.

Sanders up another few spots, 30s back on cam. Will be interesting who is still at the front coming into T2.

“well I wouldn’t say comfortable” - Sanders to the guy commentating on the climb

That’s classic

1 Like

2m30 over Matthew’s now, but I’m not sure 8m40 is enough over Haug. Assuming Ryf has the run she used to have.

5 Into T2

Tuning back in after a break. Wow big bridge by Sanders; wonder how much he’ll have in tank for run

Baekkegard lost 20s to Smith in T2, Wurf, Sanders and Blu into T2

Sanders slowest out, losing 20s to Cam and Blu.

Buddy of mine who KQ’d is racing today…he said he was one of the few people he saw around the race wearing a mask. I don’t get it….your biggest race of the year, maybe your career, cases are going up and your AREN’T doing everything possible to get the the start line healthy. :man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

Another buddy woke up this AM not feeling well and DNS’d….tested positive later in the AM.

3 Likes

Sanders has run past Cam, Blu is on track to catch three of the front guys at least. Don’t think Smith can keep up that pace at the front, not sure about Currie but Baekkegard is in a good position.

EDIT Currie passes Smith already.

IMO Everything about this Champs has turned out disappointing

Kat Matthews out onto the run - fantastic but the unenviable position of Ryf in front and Haug behind :flushed:

Or maybe not… in the Womens.