2021 XC Bike Thread

Agree. You only see that kind of stuff in promotional videos for the likes of the cannondale topstone or the chamois Hagar. But the reality is it’s painful riding trails on a gravel bike.

1 Like

I sent my XC race HT down the jump line of the local bike park. Fun? Not really. But you can do it.

That said, a dropper post can turn an XC HT into something that is more capable than a regular XC FS.

As another member pointed out, adding a dropper (maybe a lightweight short travel dropper) can/will open up a certain degree of capability with your XC HT.

I think you’ve made the right choice here, especially with the way you’ve described your HT being very light. On the class 4-5 gravel in my neck of the woods, I wouldn’t go back to a gravel bike even with high volume tires. Descending on this type of terrain isn’t really as much of an issue for me as climbing it. Don’t know about you, but rolling over loose rocks, bumpy terrain, and negotiating lines on a double-track fire-road both mentally and physically takes a toll on me. I’ve ridden many miles on my 650x48 gravel bike on roads like these, but couldn’t be happier after switching to a XC MTB (albeit FS). I am faster going up and down these trails with more comfort and confidence (both climbing and descending).

In short, I think it’s worth grinding out through the smooth portions of your ride for the extra comfort and capability with the XC HT (especially one that’s lightweight and outfitted with appropriate tires).

2020 Specialized Epic hardtail set up with Continental Race King Protection 2.2 tires. These tires roll faster than most gravel tires. Enjoy!

Jumping in, incase someone has experience here to help!
I just picked up a 2021 Scott Spark 900. One ride in and I am wishing for a dropper post. It is a bit crowded on the bars with the twinloc system though. On my Anthem I have a Brand X Ascend dropper from chainreaction but I don’t think I can get the lever in on the left hand side.
Without getting a twistloc remote for the suspension and a dropper. It’s a bit expensive after I just dropped a bunch on a new bike!

I had my local Scott dealer order the dropper/twinlock combo that comes on the Scott trail bikes. It’s the cleanest setup or you could go the route of the AXS dropper and a blip box.

4 Likes

Thanks, You sent me down a trip where I discovered that over the bar levers were a thing, and then realised I actually have an over the bar type lever in the shed I can use!

1 Like

I used a crank bros lever and it worked great.

1 Like

What Scott dealer do you use in Michigan?

1 Like

Spark and Spark RC riders, did any of you have issues with noisy headsets/cables/something at the front end of your bikes?

Also, have any of your shortened the cables for the front lockout and brake hose to tidy up the bird’s-nest?

No with headset.

Absolutely with cables. Went to AXS for shifting and added a dropper, so I tightened everything up and it’s a clean look.

1 Like

Mmm, that’s a nice clean set up.

My headset is a bit noisy but so far hasn’t been traceable. Just hoping it’s not the forks.

I really like the idea of the AXS Dropper/Shifter combo, very nice.

1 Like

Are those bars really narrow or is it just the view from the camera?

Standard spec on the 2018 Spark RC 900, which is 720. It’s needed for XCO in MI which has tight tree lined courses. I’d probably prefer/like a bit wider (730-740) as I find myself at the edge of my grips, but I’ve been on 720 for 4 years and I already debark trees more often than I’d care to.

1 Like

Hi all, just wondering if any of you know off hand (or have the bikes easily to hand to measure) what you saddle offset is? i.e. saddle tip to Bottom Bracket

I know this could go in the bike fitting thread but I am specifically interested in your XC bike set ups.

Extra marks for seat height (bottom bracket to top of saddle).

Thanks heaps.

Based on a bike fit I did 3 year years ago my saddle setback in 31mm. Saddle height over bottom bracket is 729mm. This was my fit on my last xc bike. I believe I set my current bike up with the same dimensions.

2 Likes

I have it on good authority the new Blur drops this weekend but could not coerce my source to divulge any details :sleepy:

2 Likes

My Spark came with this type of thing in the box:

Obviously you can buy it after market but it looks like I have two cables our front now.

1 Like

Oh I hope so! dusts off bank card