2020 Trek Supercaliber XC MTB Race Bike

The Bontrager XR2s that come with the bike are really big for a 2.2 - bigger than the 2.35 Rocket Rons I have on (admittedly on narrow 23mm ID rims). I’m pretty sure you’ll fit 2.4s in there.

Just checked, and the latest specs show you can put a 2.4 in there: https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/supercaliber/supercaliber-9-8/p/28580/

2 Likes

I´m running 2.4 Aspens atm, fits perfectly fine!

1 Like

Random question for you SuperCal owners, is it a noisy bike?

The reason I ask, is that was at my local XC park this weekend and there were a couple off pretty quick young guys hot lapping their SuperCal’s and they were super noisy. Lots of clunks and bangs. I wondered if it’s just the transfer/effect of the stiffness? They look like a fast and very efficient bike. Beefier than you’d expect.

no, it’s not noisy at all. They’re probably not running enough shock pressure.

Interestingly the US site still shows 2.2 for the 2022 models.

they also say 33mm for their CX bike but people run larger. not sure why you’d need more than 2.2 on supercal though.

No, not noisy at all, so perhaps something was off with their setups - maybe their forks?

If I’m riding slowly on a bumpy surface like grass, I’ll sometimes here a sort of whooshing sound from the rear shock. On the trails I don’t hear this as the tire noise is enough to mask it.

2 Likes

I responded on a different thread, but am running 2.35 Racing Ralph/Racing Ray combo at the moment on a set of Enve M525s. They fit without issue.

I bumped up to the 2.35’s this year from the 2.25’s I ran last year. Not a night and day difference, but seem to be working great.

1 Like

I dunno, why does Nino run 2.4’s. Why does anyone run any size of tire? They prefer it. Wider tire, lower pressure, more grip, faster times.

3 Likes

preferring it is circular.

if i had a $ for every “nino runs X” post…

not necessarily faster, or you’d see gravelistas on them. if you need more grip in the rear than what a good 2.2 provides, you might be doing it wrong.

In a sport where road bikes run 30+ tires, gravel bikes get front suspension + a dropper and fat bikes exist, I’m not sure you can do anything ‘wrong’.

I love running bigger tires for the extra comfort and lower rolling resistance over the gnarly stuff. No way I’m ever going back below 2.35 on a MTB.

1 Like

i get it, but this was a “race bike” thread.

and the current XCO world champion is racing on 2.4 tires. So it’s not really irrelevant to talk about wider tires in racing

for him, it was 2.2 + liner or 2.4. I doubt he’s doing objective efficiency tests, but i’d imagine 2.2 + liner miight actually be faster. he’s also putting out way more watts at way less weight on weird, curated courses at very high speeds. different use case from most tbh.

Supercaliber Rear Shock Sound

Here’s the sound of the rear shock of my Supercaliber. I find this sound pretty dope but some people don’t like it at all.

yeah, thats the bushings sliding on the stanchion. that’s normal. could be a little tight. one of mine was a little tight. i had a burnishing tool made by http://blueliquidlabs.com/ to size the bushing appropriately.

1. make sure the bushing isn’t too tight
  2. make sure you’ve got proper levels of oil inside the unit.

Yup, that’s the sound I hear too, but only when riding slowly in a quiet area like on the grass. Don’t hear it on the trail.

I actually don’t see any reason whatsoever to mess with it. The video I took in a very quiet environment. I only ever noticed it when I adjusted the sag at home. I don’t think I’ve ever heard the sound during a ride. Apart from servicing the shock as instructed by Trek I have no plans of further fiddling with it.